1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China: Closed!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Mar 27, 2020.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

So, from 00:00 hours tomorrow (28th) China will be closed to foreigners for: 2 weeks? A month? 2 months? Who knows? Most new imported cases belong to Chinese nationals entering the country, so are the natives being kept out too?

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Something fishy is going on in China regarding the virus. Ask yourself how a crowded country of 1.4 billion people where the virus began has only has 3,000 deaths while Italy will be at 10,000 in a few days

towncryer, Alice K and Luvsskiing like this.
  3. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

4. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Spare a thought for the Muslim Uighurs Emperor Xi has locked away in detention camps. The West is too keen to do business with this person.

sazad99 and blueskydreaming like this.
  5. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 New commenter

Italy has a higher proportion of older people?
    There is a degree of resistance built into the Chinese gene pool (think CCR delta 32 but for COVID)?
    More equipment?
    Better healthcare?

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

...... and don't call me Shirley!

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

China is closed? And I suppose the US, the UK and the rest of Europe are all open, spanboy? Mrs. Hippo is scared that she will not be able to visit her family in the Crimea this summer, as Mr. Putin has stopped all flights between Russia and Europe. So why the big hullabaloo about China being closed?

At last, the Chinese authorities are gradually relaxing the restrictions on movement, even in Wuhan. Well, that is what I have heard from friends in Shenzhen. Life is slowly (and cautiously) returning to something like normal. How long will it be before we can do that in the UK?

To answer your question, T0nyGT, I would remind you that China had SARS and Italy didn't. Perhaps the SARS outbreak was in some ways a practice or a dress rehearsal for the Chinese authorities, so it is not surprising that on the whole the Chinese response has been more effective.

8. yasf

yasf Established commenter

It's clear the figures coming from China are highly suspect. Does that mean that things aren't slowly getting better there ?

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I am not really sure what to make of this thread. Thailand has now closed its borders too. This seems like a sensible idea and totally proportionate reaction to me when there is a disease being carried around the world which is killing lots of people. Plus, of course, if they want to close them,why not? You either want free will or you don't. I should imagine that Boris or Donald wished that they had done this some time ago as one lies on the tanning bed and the other his sick bed.
    Love the conspiracy theories too, keep em coming!

Perce

install likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

To be fair no one knows the true figures in the UK because there are not enough test kits. Some even suspect Germany’s death rate figures are wrong. So let’s not pretend that other countries are accurate with their figures.

percy topliss likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

To be fair, America has been closed to others for some time (acc. NBC News) :

‘Coronavirus: Trump restricts travel from most of Europe by foreigners
    The president made the announcement after the number of coronavirus cases in the United States passed 1,000 and the stock market plummeted.’

And other countries have also been closed to others acc. to BBC.com:

‘India has suspended all visas for foreigners until mid-April and Japan has banned entry to certain categories of Chinese nationals and non-nationals who have been in Iran, South Korea or Italy in the past two weeks.

Australia and New Zealand have banned entry to all foreigners, with Australia telling all citizens and residents who return to the country they must go into quarantine for two weeks.

Singapore has done the same, stopping visitors entering and requiring all citizens, permanent and long-term residents to self-isolate at home for 14 days

Canada, the US and the European Union have also imposed border restrictions.

The EU sealed its external borders on 18 March to anyone from outside the bloc for at least 30 days.

And some European states have now either fully or partially closed their land borders.

The US has told its citizens not to travel outside the country, warning that they could find themselves having to remain abroad for an indefinite period.’

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    percy topliss likes this.
  12. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

So it seems that China is late to the game in completely closing its borders.

13. spanboy

@the hippo Well, YES the UK IS open currently...I can get on a plane in China and go to the UK, and be let in; I can't do that in reverse!! Was I making a hullabaloo about it? Don't think so! I was merely wondering why China isn't closed to EVERYONE - even their own citizens - if they genuinely want to prevent more cases coming into the country. Don't you know that the vast majority of positive CV cases coming in are the Chinese themselves?!

14. spanboy

I am in FAVOUR of China closing its borders. I'm in China and I want to be as safe as possible. It just defeats the object of the exercise by not closing them to EVERYONE who is out of the country, irrespective of nationality, and including their own. The Chinese govt themselves admit to most 'imported' cases being through Chinese nationals, not laowai.

15. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

But hasn't Canada and US closed borders to everyone except their own? And Aus, maybe NZ.
    I'm not 100% sure so I may be wrong.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You can’t close the border to citizens. That’s a basic legal tenant of citizenship- the right of return. Also the legal responsibility of governments to take back their citizens even if those citizens are quite nasty specimens.
    It’s a massive part of international issues. Look at Palestinian issues- the right of return is always on the negotiating table, because if Palestine is recognized as a country, its citizens would have right of return, which they currently don’t have and which other parties don’t want them to have.
    Look at ISIS issues and all the fighters and wives and children. Right of return is a massive legal issue.
    So no, governments can’t legally close the door to their own citizens. They can close airports, but if a citizen makes their own way to the border, they get to come in.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

lottee1000 likes this.
  17. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

The Chinese are very compliment when following government instructions. They do as they are told. Stay indoors... They will stay indoors. Wear masks... They will wear masks. Every suspected case was tested. They built hospitals in 10 days. People are still having their temperature taken everywhere they go. The same can't be said about many other countries around the world.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  18. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

If a Chinese citizen has Covid19 and wants to go back to China, they won't be able to infect anyone in the country they are leaving. That's why they check your temperature as you enter China. They did this even before Covid19. I don't know what happens if you get pulled over with a high temperature but I suspect they will make you get checked out by a medic to see what's wrong.

19. yasf

yasf Established commenter

There are degrees of accuracy you know. I'd put money on the fact that the figures coming out of European countries are more accurate than those coming out of China.

20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I can use my own eyes to know the figures in Shanghai on the rate of infection are correct just by walking around my local community. There is a sense of morality in the population except everyone wearing masks, people are no longer hiding themselves away.

The only new confirmed cases are passengers from international flights and that's why the dramatic reduction in flights into China, only one per week to the UK by each airline. Now no foreigners allowed to enter the country to reduce the chances of a second wave of infections.

colacao17 likes this.