1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

China - A good package?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by therewasahouseinthedesert, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Is this a good package for a tier 2 Chinese city?

25000 RMB/month after tax,
    Free accommodation,
    Free flights a year,
    End of contract bonus.

For a single, female teacher.

What is a good package?

2. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

How long have you been teaching?

3. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

You should be able to save a bit and travel on that.
    Outside BJ and Shangers, China is fairly cheap to live in.

4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Check to see if it's a 23- or 24-month contract...(assuming it's a 2-yr one) - if it's the former, then your end-of-contract bonus is really just pay for July rather than a bone-fide bonus.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If it includes Health Insurance then its an ok deal.

What is the housing allowance?

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Yes it's ok, you would need a bit more if you were in a tier one city but it looks fine, which city out of interest?

7. february31st

You would be lucky to find a school in Shanghai paying 25k rmb net, some are offering 22k or 2500GBP. A few short years ago it would have taken 30k rmb to convert into 2500GBP, so schools are cutting back on the salary on offer to new staff.

25k rmb converted into GBP looks good at today's exchange rates.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Free accodomation? Surely not - your housing allowance is very important to answer this question as renting is the most expensive cost of living by far...

9. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Accommodation could be something provided by the school.

Assuming that the figures are correct, this doesn't look too bad. Bonus at the end of the contract could be in addition to salary. The only quibble I'd have is on the flights - one per year is a bit low, most places offer 2 and you can get this in under Chinese tax laws too.

10. Teachallover

I am yet to see any contract that allows you to live in a palace. There must be an upper allowance for housing and as I say that is very important to answer this question accurately. 3000RMB in Beijing for example wouldn’t get you a shed.

11. Teachallover

Alternatively, provided accommodation needs to be vetted. I’ve heard horror stories of some on site accommodation.

12. About 4 years in England.

13. Hi yes health insurance and furnished accommodation.

14. furnished accommodation provided, although quite what that means I'm not sure yet, I guess it could be anything from a box to a mansion.

15. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Err on the side of the box.....

16. february31st

If the school offers good quality accommodation it can be a bonus as you don't need to have the expense and hassle of finding a place yourself.

Check if there is an option to find your own appartment after the first year and how much your accommodation allowance will be. This at least give you some confidence to find better if the school provides a poor Palace to live in.

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It all sounds pretty okay to this smelly old hippo. 25 thousand RMB after tax is good going. As a single gal, therewasahouseinthedesert, you should be able to save a tidy pile each year. Don't forget to go to YANGSHUO, as it is brill.