1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chilli - mouth blistering hot - please help!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

You can certainly add some extra mince - and tomatoey base tomorrow.
    You have emergency rations tonight - but if it happens again, you can always cool down your chilli (or an over-hot curry) by stirring in some natural joghurt. Cream would also work - particularly sour cream in chilli, but it has a tendenct to split - I prefer joghurt.

2. ljr

ljr New commenter

Thank you Bethannie, I did wonder about adding yogurt, but it is SO hot I wasn't sure it would do any good. I now realise that I added 2 tsps of chilli instead of 1 of chilli & 1 of cumin - that will teach me to concentrate!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Make another batch but without chilli but use 2 tsp cumin.
    Mix both together et voila!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Just eat it and increase your chilli tolerance! You will be pleased in the long run and will start to complain when chilli-hot food isn't hot enough.
    I'm not one of these macho vindaloo people who always insists on ordering the hottest thing on the menu just to show off (I often go for the more balanced curries in fact), but I dooo love much chilli-hot food blisteringly hot. Thai food especially.
    Mrs909 went off chilli entirely when pregnant and as a result her tolerance has fallen. I'm slowly but surely building it back up again...
    I like it so hot my nose itches and my head tingles. I'm slightly addicted to chillies.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Or, as a slightly more sensible suggestion, if you don't fancy making another batch, squeeze a good amount of fresh lime juice in there. Lemon or lime temper chilli and lime works exceedingly well in a chilli - the acidity offsets the relative sweetness of the onions and tomatoes wonderfully. I always add lime to chilli.

6. BelleDuJour

Nick has a point there. I too adore chillies and will happily munch on raw chillies (but not Scotch Bonnet [​IMG])
    Your tollerance does increase the more you eat and yes, they are addictive.
    I love to make homemade pizza with tomato and cheese then I load the top with sliced green chillies....................literally smother it..................and then sprinkle with mixed herbs and dot a few pieces of fresh pineapple on top. Deelish!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love spicy food - I was brought up with it but I married a chilli-wimp! I've learned that I need to make food much less hot (to my palate) and then sprinkle extra chillies over mine!

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

You cook the potato in it and fish it out! [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

and the best Libyan dish is??
    care to share a recipe ?

10. ljr

ljr New commenter

Well we ate it tonight - cooked up with another 500g mince and with lots of yogurt, (and lager to wash it all down). Three hours later my tongue is still tingling. I never throw food away, but neither of us can face this ever again so I will not be freezing the leftovers (and there is a lot left in the pan). Thank you all for your tips and advice, we are obviously chilli wimps.

11. Sorry, too late.
    Another trick that works is to add more oil or fat (you need quite a bit), allow to cook for a while. Then drain to skim off the fat. The fat/oil will often bind the spices and take a good few away.
    Then dry fry the mix again, then add more fluid if needed.
    If you have leftovers, it is worth a try before you throw away.

12. BelleDuJour

What a waste!!! Honestly, just make another batch without any chilli and mix together. It's that simple! You put twice as much chilli in as needed to begin with, so next time add no chilli.................simple maths not haute cuisine or rocket science. It's a crime to waste food.

13. ljr

ljr New commenter

I totally agree Belle, and you don't know how bad I feel over it, but this mix has already been cooked /left/ added to a batch of fresh mince /heated again... I'm not sure it would be safe to reheat it again. The tip about the extra fat/oil sounds a good one, but it was too late. I absolutely NEVER waste food & I had to think long & hard over this, but I really think it is best to admit it went wrong, probably I didn't deal with it properly at the time. At least I've learnt something from it.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The first time my Mum made a chilli the same thing happened. None of us could eat it.
    I love chilli and it's one of our weekly staples but I make it very mild. I put in a teaspoon of crushed chillis to serve 12. It is delicious with some creme fraiche on top. Don't let it put you off but next time put in about 1/4 of the recommended amount of chilli. You can always add more.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Too late to add to this but in future, rather than mix yoghurt or soured cream (even better) through the dish, serve it is a condiment alongside or on top as BS suggests.
    Each mouthful of chilli with a small dollop of soured cream is instantly cooler and you can add more as you please.

16. I am sure most of us have cooked something at some time that was not rescuable ;o)
    I hate to waste food, but if something has gone wrong and I have tried everything to rescue it and it is still not edible, I am afraid it has to land in the bin, before it grows legs and leaves my flat of its own accord.
    It is not the end of the world, if it is not a regular occurence!

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agreed.
    I'll be throwing something out today. I roasted some butternut squash to make soup out of yesterday and purposely roasted more than I needed with a vague idea of mashing it up with a Boursin cheese, thinking I'd use it as a filling for canelloni. It is quite foul, though. Doesn't work at all, even though you'd think it would. The salty sharpness of the cheese doesn't sit well with the sweetness of the squash.
    I've rationalised that the amount of squash used would probably be less than a quid and the cheese was a month past its sell by date anyway, so it's not the end of the world. Rather that than eat something unpleasant and learn from the experience.

18. I once cooked a Jamie Oliver recipe for lasagne. It was goddam disgusting. I am afraid I couldn't find anyone to eat it (kids ate two mouthfuls and then refused to eat further), so it landed in the bin! Never used the recipe again and went back to MY recipe with a proper roux sauce, where a portion for 8 gets eaten by 3 people!

19. bizent

bizent Star commenter

It wasn't the recipe where he uses milk, parmesan cheese and anchovies for the white sauce by any chance?

20. BOAK! [​IMG]