1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child's safety

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by snugglepot, Mar 10, 2012.

1. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I would think ultimately it would be the Headteacher or whoever is in charge that day.If a TA is working 1:1 with the child at the time then they should also be responsible to ensure the child's safety.However a challenging Year 5 or 6 child can be difficult to contain especially if they can out run you.I would say that every precaution should be taken but it may not always be enough.

2. R13

R13 New commenter

As a Head I can confirm that I have the ultimate responsibility for all H&S. I would also say that if I was paying someone to work 1-1 with a child that would be partly to help to ensure his safety BUT it does all depend on the child and the school site.

3. R13

R13 New commenter

The ultimate responsibility is with the Head - no 'ifs or buts'
    That said if a member of staff behaved in an unreasonable mannefr (Unlocked a locked gate for no good reason) then they do leave themselves open to action
    As the 1-1 if it was reasonable for you to assume the gate was locked then you should not be held to account over this

4. Thankyou, thats exactly what I thought - so why have I been held responsible and given a warning over it!!! Especially when it was not just one gate left open but 3........beyond belief

5. That's so unfair. Have you contacted your union? I worked with a potential "runner" and the school drew up a strategy which was basically watch where they go and inform the head.

6. R13

R13 New commenter

I'm sorry but without knowing all the facts it's not really possible to comment - but I hope things work out well for you.
    If you remain concerned about the position however I do think you should ask for clarification about what is your expected role

7. thankyou for your replies, I am trying to clarify things

8. thankyou NCTA2 this is so scary. trouble is nothing is as straight forward as one would like. the situation is complicated by building works, the child is still heading for the gate, and my concern is that once the works are complete and the gates could well be left open again, that I will still be held responsible !! I am seeking advice.
    l