1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child's behaviour has upset me

Discussion in 'Personal' started by robyn147, May 30, 2012.

1. I did supply with a class for 2 weeks. Several of them had very difficult behaviour but I coped during the time there. I went back to the same class on Monday and one of the pupils who was difficult seemed to be having a really good week. Yesterday she asked me if she could bring in a magazine about the Jubilee as we were doing it.
    This morning she bought it in and showed me. I promised her we would look at it at hometime. Then she started to have a bad morning and by the afternoon she was on a half day internal exclusion. So we did not look at her magazine. I am not in tomorrow so I don't think she'll get a chance to show something she was interested in.
    I feel really upset - she had a really good week and I made sure I acknowledged that. She was going to get into the gold book but then let herself down. I was so pleased she had bought in the magazine. Undoubtedly something was going on for this to happen that I don't know about.

Children [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I did supply with a class for 2 weeks. Several of them had very difficult behaviour but I coped during the time there. I went back to the same class on Monday and one of the pupils who was difficult seemed to be having a really good week. Yesterday she asked me if she could bring in a magazine about the Jubilee as we were doing it.
    This morning she bought it in and showed me. I promised her we would look at it at hometime. Then she started to have a bad morning and by the afternoon she was on a half day internal exclusion. So we did not look at her magazine. I am not in tomorrow so I don't think she'll get a chance to show something she was interested in.
    I feel really upset - she had a really good week and I made sure I acknowledged that. She was going to get into the gold book but then let herself down. I was so pleased she had bought in the magazine. Undoubtedly something was going on for this to happen that I don't know about.

Children [​IMG]

3. Shrug and move on. It's not your kid, you can't do anything for it. Worrying about it is a step on the path to adness.
    cyolba, as callous as a brickie's hands :)

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Get upset when one tells you to "**** off", which happened to me this week!
    Except I don't get upset. I do a little jig when they get excluded.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You showed interest at the time and it was her own actions that led to her not being there at the time you'd agreed to look at the magazine. Perhaps missing something like this will eventually make the penny drop for her.
    Don't feel bad about it.
    children [​IMG]

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Robyn, it's good that you care but now you must put this out of your mind. You've obviously done a good job with these children and this little girl will realise that she let herself down. Hopefully, she will learn from this. At least she managed to show her magazine to you and that's probably what she really wanted.

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This ^^^^^ . If she wants to be treated nicely, she needs to treat others nicely - if she does wake up to the fact it was her own behaviour which led to this disappointment, you have achieved lots. If you made the time to read the magazine, she continues to feel bad behaviour means nothing so far as getting her own way.

8. Tell the child you were sorry not have had the chance to look at her magazine with her and did she understand why?
    You could then say that if she has a really good day with no bad behaviour you will make time to look at it with her tomorrow.
    Rather than punishments,perhaps this child needs help to understand that good behaviour leads to nice things......she may not be getting this at home

9. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

You did your best. Perhaps another teacher will have also picked up on what this child needs and help her. You are only temporary as I understand it, so dont worry too much there will be other opportunities for this girl to shine (or not), it was not her last chance.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That would be great - except I am not in with this class till maybe after 1/2 term so I never got the chance to reinforce that message.
    Still - will undoubtedly be back with them next term so will be interesting to see the behaviour. I just feel for these children as I have no doubt many of them have **** lives which they bring into the classroom.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's not your fault. You did nothing wrong.
    Just as I did nothing wrong when a child threw a fire extinguisher at me and called me a "f*cking pr*ck" last week (I'd simply asked him to wait two minutes until I'd finished delivering the lesson input before responding to his unrelated query).
    You will continue to allow the child the very best opportunity to have a good day the next time you see her.
    Just as I did for this child on Monday.
    It's all we can do.
    If I spent too long getting upset about things I have little or no control over I'd very quickly get to the stage where I was unable to come to work every day.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's not being upset at doing anything wrong. I'm upset for the child. She seemed like a changed child this week. Well behaved, attentive, on task, just a perfect child in the class. Then something happens - no idea what - and off she goes.
    It just saddens me to think of what these children are like - but we do the best we can despite everything.