1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children's tray labels

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hats_hats, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Slightly sunburnt so thought I'd best come indoors and do a little bit of work ready for September.
    First task...children's tray labels. As an NQT last year I spent ages thinking of a different animal for each child that began with the same letter as their first initial. However, with several children in my new reception class with the same initials (I think I have a class full of E's?!) this is proving difficult! Do the children each need to have a different picture?
    I've seen lots of nice, ready made, editable resources which are just oh so tempting!

2. Hi, I know its a bit harder but I prefer to use my own ideas for name labels rather than the ready made resources. You can be more creative and include popular culture ie story/TV/film characters reflect toy trends and, if you know the children, reflect their interests and cultures. If you use objects you can create a phonic matching game as well. Having said that, if you want to put your creative energies into another aspect of readying your reception class, i doubt the children will express their disappointment! PM me if you want copies of pics Ive used in the past.

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

Last year, I sent a template (for size) home and asked the children to make them with their parents! They looked fab and very individual too.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I just have the name without a picture on their drawers and it's rare that anyone has a problem finding it. I have a photo with the name on their coatpegs though, I take these when they come on their transition visits and it's amazing how much they change during the year.

5. I do pictures beginning with the same sound as their name, but I don't limit myself to animals. I use the same picture for coat pegs, trays, learning journals and folders. We also put a photo on the front of their LJ.
    When I get the children in September I ask them what picture they would like for the snack table (a picture eg Ben 10, Mr Tumble, Disney princess etc, with their name, velcro on the back and they move it from one side of the board to the other to indicate that they've had their snack. With free-flow snack table it's quite a good way of checking who has and who hasn't had their fruit and milk.

6. I was never organised enough to think of pictures for the letters in their names... they just had a random collection of clip art pictures chosen on the highly scientific basis that they were the ones I liked!

7. I use www.rainbowresources.co.uk and adapt them. They are a perfect size and the children loved them last year.

8. Excellent ideas everyone, I finally managed to get MS Word to behave and stop messing up the alignment and made the tray labels - with a picture of an animal beginning with the first letter of each child's name. Took me a while but got there in the end! Some children have slightly obscure animals though!
    I like the idea of having a photo of the child, I might do this for the cloakroom as we have the builders in at school so cloakroom space is going to be cramped and I think a photo of the child alongside their name might help them.