1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

children's eating habbits

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by natb83, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I feel rather lost as to what to do about my 4 year old son.
    Recently a boy has started to attend the after school club my son attends the boy is over weight and some of the older children have started to bully him because of this, my concern is that my son has now started to say during meal times that he cant eat all of his food as he will end up "fat" and unable to run like the boy at his after school club. As you can understand this is causing me great concern as i dont know how to deal with the matter i dont want to make it a big deal with him as it might spur him on to continue with this kind of behaviour but feel i cant ignor it either, i am heavily pregnant at the moment and my son is also mentioning that he does not want me to be fat any more because the bullies will call me names. my son has a very healthy diet and we eat all our meals together, i have spoken to his teachers and after school carers but they dont know what to do and assure me they have not noticed any bullying going on.
    I have worked with children for 10 trs and i have never come across this kind of issue, can anyone give me any tips on dealing with this?

2. Using my devastatingly perceptive women's magazine strength psychology, this sounds a bit like displacement / transference. The pregnancy, the impending birth and the change in your body shape is the single biggest influence on him, I'd think. He might be super-sensitive about what's happening at day-care - but that indicates higher sensitivity to all stresses in his life at the moment.
    Concentrate on getting him involved (or less involved if you suspect you might've been pushing the topic too hard) in preparing for the new baby. Practice being a 'big brother' and the like.
    That's all for now. Happy to contribute more if you think this avenue is worth more thought.