1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

children's centre teacher - wrong move??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by minilady, Jan 23, 2011.

1. hi there
    a couple of years ago i moved from teaching in school to working in children's centre.
    Unfortunately last week we were told out team is to be made redundant as our role can now be carried out by peolple with EYPS as the goverment has removed the statutory requirement for teachers in CC.
    Does anyone have a similar experience and what are your plans?

2. hi there
    a couple of years ago i moved from teaching in school to working in children's centre.
    Unfortunately last week we were told out team is to be made redundant as our role can now be carried out by peolple with EYPS as the goverment has removed the statutory requirement for teachers in CC.
    Does anyone have a similar experience and what are your plans?

3. I am so sorry to hear this. I would be interested to hear union views on this too.

In many ways I have alwasyd felt and have expressed so on this forum that EYPS was devised as a cheap option to undercut teachers . I wonder when this will slip into nursery classes in schools.
    I am flagging your post up as I feel this is important

4. I have taken the liberty of flagging up your post on this thread
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/449280/6385694.aspx#6385694

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

I agree, a number of us have been saying this for some time, I remember cynically saying this when EYPS first came out. It wld be interesting to know where this is now stating to happen.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Oh dear I do wish there was an edit button, apologies the typos

7. If those are the actual circumstances - replacing one set of staff with another, differently, qualified set of staff - then I'm sure your Union would be very interested! You should only be made redundant if the job is no longer going to be there.
    <h3>What is redundancy?</h3>
    Redundancy is a form of dismissal from your job, caused by your employer needing to reduce the workforce. Reasons could include:
    • new technology or a new system has made your job unnecessary
    • the job you were hired for no longer exists
    • the need to cut costs means staff numbers must be reduced
    • the business is closing down or moving
    Directgov has more information here and there is a downloadable booklet from ACAS here.