1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children with behaviour issues, can the head do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Feb 2, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree entirely.

I'd also say that in a large school you will have teachers who use the system more than others. And some will be using it to cover their own weaknesses in teaching/behaviour management. However this is normal and nothing about that will change, so no point fretting/sulking about it. Newer teachers won't be so used to the old regime of total chaos in the classroom and so probably do use the room more. Good for them for having high ideals about how things will be in their classroom.

2. What a great Head. One who wants the majority of the children to have fair play and a chance to learn.
    We so often pander to the "needs" and "rights" of those who shout loudest and punch the hardest !.
    At the last the quietest child and those with the parents who never complain have a voice.

3. I want to work in that school

What a fab head.

4. Agree that it makes it easier for the class teachers and those children 'wanting' to learn but what is the long term implication for the 'binned' children? What is the consequence for them being sent to that room? Is there a system in place for changing their behaviour or could this become an endless cycle of disruption and exclusion?

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

There is no such "system" - ultimately the responsibility for the change in behaviour lies with the child.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Do you teach at Waterloo Road? Sounds like the cooler to me!!
    Sounds brilliant. My first placement class had 2 kids so disruptive that if they were ever removed from the room, the rest of the class cheered!! This was in Y3!
    I don't think kids should be sent there just because "the lesson won't suit them", only if they actually disrput the learning of others. Disruptive children are a particular bugbear of mine.

7. I'm fully aware that the child has to want to conform too - I've taught (and teach) challenging children too. I see it as still our (and the child's and the parents) responsibility to address this and not simply avoid it. In my opinion, all the approach mentioned will never change the behaviour and will simply continue on into secondary school, leading to non attendance possibly.
    The brighter ones will soon learn that they have an opt out choice of tricky/boring lessons if they play up.
    Might be worth asking why they have children who disrupt so much. Please don't think that I am one of the airy fairy teachers who don't understand that children can be incredibly challenging and disruptive to others - I currently have 3 children in my class who were excluded from other schools. It's just that I see fault in the system outlined by the OP, as do they or they would not have raised the question.

8. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Yes, and I'm afraid that there are some out there that simply don't.
    Yes, but this has to be balanced against the needs of the the majority.
    If it doesn't, then at least the impact on others will have been reduced.
    That depends entirely on what it's like in the withdrawal room. If it's not a playtime, then where's the incentive to play up?
    In most cases there is a simple asnwer to this - it's because they can.