1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children who feel closer to nature do better in exams

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'm surprised it was funded.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I can see a big crash on the correlation/causation highway

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In other ground-breaking news, children whose parents spend a lot of time talking and playing with them do better in school also.

Who knew?

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Was it measuring closeness to nature or sensitivity to their surroundings? Did they have a control sample of people who felt close to their urban surroundings?
    In general, I would say that sensitivity to surroundings often correlates with intelligence.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Middlemarch likes this.
  7. cathprisk9

cathprisk9 New commenter

Any links to the report?? This feels so 'well of course'. But so few schools or urban environment planners take note.

8. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Could be because children of well -educated parents are more likely to have a garden or visit parks, farms etc. May not be the nature itself (although it's obviously beneficial) but rather a link to the parents' own level of education.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I call them "National Trust" children (not in a derogatory fashion). They are the ones who visit NT properties and take part in many of the activities on offer.
    They don't spend the weekend stuck in front of the tv playing games.

Middlemarch likes this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I once worked with the children of a gamekeeper - well connected with nature but very reluctant to engage with the formal curriculum as planned by the school.
    I am aware this partly contradicts my earlier post.

11. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Forgive me if it's late and I'm just missing something, but I don't get the last bit:

"But Joe Hayman, chief executive of the PSHE Association, points out that it can be difficult to tell whether there is a direct causal relationship between pupil wellbeing and academic outcomes. Often, for example, a school with high levels of pupil wellbeing also provides strong academic education.

However, he added: "There's quite clear evidence linking pupil wellbeing and academic achievement
    ."

What exactly is Joe Hayman saying?

12. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

I remember when I used to believe researchers. It was short-lived and a long time ago. Then I learned to look into who was funding them.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There may be some truth in it. I wasn't exactly a "rural" child, but I was never at home, and that is where my interest in "nature" and "science" began. How it would affect an interest in other things is debateable. It could depend on the era when your childhood actually was, and probably depends on many other "social" things. Suffering from nostalgia for the 60s probably makes me look at that time with a degree of rose tinted optical correction devices. I can't imagine having been brought up in an inner city area.

wanet likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter