1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children V Teachers - The Mental Health battle

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by david_a_heffernan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. david_a_heffernan

david_a_heffernan New commenter

Disclosure - I provide support for both Teachers and Children through my Unique mental health and well being program as well as the many workshop and training I have created and developed.

Recently I had too deal with a 6 year old who had been trying to throw herself out the window - An 11 year old who was self harming in the run up too SATS and a Headteacher who resigned due to severe depression after a battle with the Governors who had undermined her at every turn.

Do you currently feel supported? The papers talk about schools in a mental health crisis - Normally I wouldn'y trust the papers but scrawling through the forums it clearly is a huge issue.

What would you say are the top 5 current pain points within your school regards Mental health of both the children and Staff? Lack of support? Lack of funding? Overwhelm?

Thanks in advance

DH

2. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Students:
    Students are lacking in resilience - we have many students whom are unable to sit in exam rooms because they feel the pressure is overwhelming. Resilience I suppose is primarily learnt from home, but when both parents are working full time jobs and are too tired to engage with hobbies and passtimes at the end of the day, with their children, good behaviours simply aren't being modelled.
    Low levels of literacy - many students fall well below where they should be which means that they just don't understand the language that other people are taking for granted, and this experience is very isolating and undermining.
    Comparative wealth - some students outrageously flaunt their own familial wealth through latest phones, designer clothes, even head phones which only serves as a reminder about social divide.
    Lack of mental health funding - there are many very serious mental health concerns that are just not getting the support they need because there is no money for it.

Teachers:
    Large class sizes / very few non-contact times (schools are running a skeleton crew).
    Changing goal posts in exam requirements.
    High numbers of access arrangements and special needs add to the planning and preparation time, but not time is given to accommodate those needs.

There's three for each.