1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children that don't do any work!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by davidjones123, Jan 17, 2011.

1. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,
    What sanctions do you use for children that, despite how many times you tell them, they just don't do anything in the lesson? I teach Year 2 and I am struggling with things to do with those children who do nothing in class.
    Also, what can you tell the parents at parents evening in the nicest possible way?
    Any suggestions you've got will be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, David.

2. If I judge the child has been wasting time (as opposed to not understanding! In which case it is my differentiation which is to blame)) then I always make them do it as break or lunchtime. If you keep it til golden time on a Friday they can't remember what to do! That usually works after a few times, if it continues I might send it home to finish after a quiet word with the parents.

3. Agree, it needs to be done in their own time. However, try and sort a system where they are not getting more of your time because they did not write independently when asked to. Assuming that the task was suitable, they should be able to complete it independently alone.
    Do not lower your standards. That will send the wrong message and give the next teacher a nightmare to deal with!