1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children suffering amid disruptive time waster children.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by speechcompanyinfo, Dec 14, 2019.

1. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

So here we have a new government who will sit down with teachers and listen to how things can be improved... (BAM... I woke up from a dream, and am now in reality)

So here we have a new government who will continue to ignore teachers and slap the word "Outstanding" onto schools full of badly behaved children... …

However, should there be a day when I can sort out the problems that lie in our schools, I will say that it comes down to this.
    Two types of pupils.
    1) Well behaved pupils who want to learn
    2) Time wasters who need to be thrown out of the school, but won't be due to weak leadership in schools.

We actually need two types of schools.
    One for "Type One" and a boot camp for "Type two"

At the moment, there are those glum faces who have to sit through the boring situation, day in day out, of a teachers trying to control the time wasters. I say "chuck em out and only teach the ones who want to learn"

Nobody's asking me.

2. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I think there is also the group in the middle who sway with the wind. If they think the idiots are winning they're happy to add to your problems. However in a different school or class with less distractions they'd probably toe the line. These kids are probably fine with established or senior teachers but if your on supply watch out!

3. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

ha ha, this is how it is for sure. I took my break for near 18 months and then went back nov 2018 in to a jungle zoo, actually, jungles and zoos are nice places. anyway, i returned having had a break and this is how i saw it, and it seems its as it always has been but i didnt notice. the undercurrents of unpleasantness, both adult and child style. well these find each other. the unpleasant staff forge relationships with the unpleasant element because they like gossip. remember these are the kids that will hold grudges and tell tales. thats how it works, and the nice kids minding their own business, getting on quietly get a bad deal. because when the supply comes in , the rot bots want to run the show, the supply doesnt let them run the show and the rot bot goes to their friend the tewacher, tellsthem tales about the terrible supply and thats how it goes on. im so very glad to be away from it. im too old and too good for all this croop now. theres not a thing i can do about it. i dont like living on the whims of kids and kidults. thats the age we are in you sxee, theres the element of teachers who forget they are the adults and theyre too fond of gossiping with youngsters. this is the state of state education. it seems to be how a load of rubbish has made it to management . cant be bothered to explain furhter. id just like to be compensated for the damage been done to my mind thru all of this and my physical well being too. ive worked damned hard all these years, in the classroom. but theres an ofsted mantra, teacher working hard in the class, kids not learning. their belief is the work you prepare so wonderful that you just facilitate. well it always was, the wqork i prepared was wonderful but everyone knows no one reads whats in front of them and dont follow instructions/

4. lovejoy_antiques

Absolutely. At my first school I took it all quite seriously. When you go to a few different places and see the same nonsense, hear the same rhetoric and come across different versions of the same people you see it for the joke it is!

lovehendrix and pepper5 like this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

maybe we should get together and employ a solicitor and sue the department of education

6. freshfriesan

i say forget the no win no fee middle men and get together and do our hw. i wass thinking along the lines of "right to a family life" at the european court might be a good one, get it lodged asap. since all will have happened while uk a member state.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Again the growing toxicity of modern education.... I cannot think of another profession where your day to day success as key member of staff is so intrinsically linked to a tightrope of petty gossip and backstabbing from every direction.

Sadly (and ironically), teachers can be some of the most childish people you will ever meet.

8. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Sinefield. I agree with you. I'm juggling £50 hour with my scientific consultancy with supply. I want to earn a load of money, so I'm working hard.

I was asked by a very refined and nice labtech chief whether I'd consider taking a full time job. I said "No, it's not because of the workload, or the students, it is the staff".

I was bullied by a very nasty HOD. There are many c ts in staff rooms and I would never give one the authority of being the ultimate guillotine for my balls willingly, ever again. Wendy was lovely to everyone, but she made it absolutely clear that she had the power to end my career. I did what she wanted and resigned. It's ar it goes init.

I turn up to building sites to inspect "things" and when I show up in the site hut with everyone there from the superchief to the apprentice, it is a lovely refreshing environment where I am not checking my every word for a misdemeanour, or every choice I make for something which could be warped into a safeguarding offence, or some sort of career crushing oversight. Teaching is a minefield these days.

It is my opinion that it has turned into a bit of a monoculture. Self selecting people. You have your yes men, your old battleaxe ukipper proper alpha men (dying breed) then you have the slick talking throat slitters. They aren't making any more old men and if they were, they'd never get hired. The power people never hire people who appear to pose a threat to them, so it's the yes men and the machiavellians who get hired, then you find out who the throat slitters are. There are plenty of psychopaths in management and sometimes they like to torment people. It's not about how good you are, it's about how you fit in to the bigger picture. You can't just get on with it, you have to be a part of their pyramid of nonsense.

I'd like to see teachers rotated around different schools so they don't get sloppy in various aspects of the job (and fail to cope with change). It would also keep them from developing bad habits and bad behaviour, including cliques, etc. I'd also outsource recruiting so that people were hired on merit, not because they're in Mike's sailing club.

9. lovejoy_antiques

I think you've hit the nail on the head!...

I am not checking my every word for a misdemeanour, or every choice I make for something which could be warped into a safeguarding offence, or some sort of career crushing oversight. Teaching is a minefield these days.

ellenlilymay and agathamorse like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Twenty years ago, we termed deliberate, persistently disruptive students as being on the EAH spectrum: 'Elective Ar.se Hole'.

Bandying that around in the staffroom would have you on your way out of the door in no time!

freshfriesan and agathamorse like this.
  11. lovejoy_antiques

I've heard some mean spirited commentators describe adhd as standing for a dick head in denial. I've heard students also being described as having ads (absent dad syndrome). Other conditions include a complex combination of autism and awkwardness (awktistic) and students who have some dyslexic traits combined with a very low iq (dyslexthick). Obviously anyone saying such things or holding such views is clearly a safeguarding risk and needs to be drummed out of teaching by the thought police!

12. elvispenhaligon

I'm a bit older now and I am very much a mature man. I have a well trimmed beard and look like a sort of Jeremy Corbyn meets open university meets left wing nice guy.

This look seems to work quite well as most people don't see me. (Think invasion of the body snatchers WOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

It is nice to know I'm not the only one who hasn't been converted

lovehendrix likes this.
  13. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

LOL.... They should make it law that all schools display this as a large sign above their doors.

14. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

It is indeed a 'pyramid' of nonsense as many worldly 'institutions' are - be glad you've woken up - many don't...
    they seek to replace your God-given intrinsic value with their own validation - don't fall for it

lovehendrix likes this.
  15. freshfriesan

yeah, the pyramidica l structure indeed, and they themselves are part of a pyramid. they believe themselves to be great glorious autonomous leaders but they are only acting on directives from the next pyramid up. for sure, you just always have to be watching what you say and its getting to the point of how many times and for how many seconds you look in a students direction. for sure free thinkers are not wha t is wanted in schools, they are dangerous and threatening. i feel a fool for taking so long to realise this. yes, some of the most childish people ive come across have been from teaching , and nasty. like, in all my years i never felt a need to go and see the head about anything anywhere (once theyd knocked me back on paying me any more ) but i was among folks who were always in and out of their offices about someone in their team asking them to do their job . it would depend hw the leadership viewed the person they were comlaigning about. its making my stomach feel sick thinking about it. head sitting in her office getting fed all manner of information from her spies and giving out gold stars and tlrs to those who done the dirty on their colleagues.

from my very first job i saw the wicked movements of a head of dept. she didnt have it in for me but for the other nqt and engineered the la observation so he was seen with his worst class and me too when she could have reversed it and both been seen with decent class. its the setting people up to fail i dont like and the nit picking observations. they say they have to focus on the good. for 6 years i was pulling in hmmm, just about satisfactory lessons, sitting on the edge of failure always and always looking over my shoulder. i shouldve jumped ship sharp but i m a bit stubborn. culminated in capability, which i was cleaing, which wasnt what the head wanted so my last obs came out bad. i had a nervous breakdown at that point as i had been working so hard to clear the capability. like a fool i returned after 3 months and handed my notice in, which is what was wanted . i was right bullied in that place. never supported nor backed up thru awful treatment by very aggressive youngsters. never backed up at all, always chasing my tail, i was following their procedures and getting no where, they were leaving it all to me, never picking up their end when id tried and followed procedure, always telling me to set another detention, putting awful coaching in place. i wish i wasnt still sore about this stuff, thats how bad it has effected me. it plays on my head the way i was bullied by these lot..... its no scandal as this is the way it seems it is meant to be yet they have things in place for themselves at the top of the pyramid. safety nets and networking for themselves. the classteacher is like the canon fodder i suppose. collateral damage. funny that i went back into mainstream aftere terrible experience and got treated very well, they liked my teaching and it wasnt much different than from tha bad place. but school was always having ofsted and management started gunning for the sci dept, actually for the head of science but she was gonna try misdirection to save herself. i jumped ship. i couldnt go thru that awful ness again, just the thought that it might happen, thats ewnough for me... and theres not even a place for me on supply anymore. supply seems to be being used for recruitment purposes, all these long term positions going around, then they might keep the staff on, so if youre after something flexible and dont want to be part of their silly games and system, theres no place for you. its very sad as i would be alright doing a feww days a week here and there but now, im just tottally jaded with the whole thing. done 2 weeks in september which should have been a month . the head of science cited "behaviour issues and parental complaints" which sounds more like nonsense to me...but theres never anypoint hanging around to get detail from them coz theyre not gonna change their mind. ireckon the second in science put a bad word in about me... the day before id been lumped with all the y11 who werent allowed on a trip, that was my day, to do revision lessons with them, very unsupportive permanent member of staff in the room across the way, i believe it was her had a whine about me. why dont these people help? why do they prefer to just make notes and pass them on ? I just take it as high praise now that i have too much personality and life for these people just that my presence threatens the,m.. and i think theres something written on my face now that just seems to say im very jaded, ill do the job but wont be controlled.

16. elvispenhaligon

Freshfresian. I would like to buy you a pint and have a yap. You sound like you are one of my tribe.

17. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Yes yes and yes freshfriesan. Maybe one day you can move on.