1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children struggling with double consonants

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Autumn87, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Autumn87

Autumn87 New commenter

Oops, I should add they are KS2!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I use a grid 3 columns
    Drop 'e' then add suffix Double the final consonant
    then add suffix
    Just add suffix
    laminated word cards to sort into the correct column quite simple
    there are games for the IWB on phonics play but in the subscription section (£10 access)

3. http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1722208/Nothing-Double-Or-Drop-Suffix-Cards/?rguid=fefca8c5-968e-42ec-8f28-1e1563b57ad8

4. Autumn87

Autumn87 New commenter

Thank you very much for those ideas - they were helpful, I will certainly be adapting one of them :)

5. The biggest problem with consonant doubling is its inconsistency. Many words don't have a doubled consonant even though they have the same short stressed vowel as ones that do: ballad - salad, rabbit - habit, shoddy - body. In longer root words English consonant doubling is in fact totally unpredictable, as u can see at www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk and is main cause of adult spelling errors.

When adding suffixes to short words, things are mercifully much more regular.
    The purpose of consonant doubling is to keep a short, stressed vowel short. Before suffixes which start with a vowel, doubling ensures that it does not become long.
    Hence: fat - fatten, fatter, fatty, fattish; sad - sadden, sadder.
    But: date - dated, dating.
    The rule of using doubling consonants for keeping a short, stressed vowel short applies to most longer verbs too. Hence: permitted, but vomited.
    But in UK English it is always broken with l: travelled, marvelled.

6. I can send you some Doubling Rules Posters that I made + words and sentences I have used, word cards and a card game for doubling rules.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com