1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children struggling with blending and segmenting!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lunablanket, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi, up until recently I thought my children were progressing well with their Phonics, they all know their P2 sounds but they are struggling to blend and segment!! does any1 have any fun activities/suggestions to help with this as i want to ensure that they are firm in their understanding before moving onto phase 3 sounds!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!xxx

2. Hi, up until recently I thought my children were progressing well with their Phonics, they all know their P2 sounds but they are struggling to blend and segment!! does any1 have any fun activities/suggestions to help with this as i want to ensure that they are firm in their understanding before moving onto phase 3 sounds!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!xxx

3. Mine struggle too so look forward to any suggestions people have [​IMG]

4. Ditto! Generally...my class are fab with the phase 2 individual sounds...most are getting there with blending and segmenting...some are really good! But I have a little bunch that just can't seem to get the hang of it yet. I think it's probably just something that will come with further practise, but i'd also welcome any suggestions of different games to play! We play lots of the games/practise following the ideas in Letters and Sounds. We also play various games on the IWB (they seem to focus better if its on the board and makes a noise!!) But i'd love to hear other suggestions.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Can they hear the word if you say the sounds?

6. Some of the children can- but others really struggle I literally end up saying the word!!they have also started saying the final sound as the initial sound!?

7. I have children who can, children who are nearly there and some who seem to have no idea.
    Perhaps, and this is only an idea , they are saying the final sound for the initial if you are putting emphasis on finishing the word to help them orally segment/ blend or maybe they are only hearing and retaining the final sound - if that makes sense.
    I don't know the answer other than practice but I have began to reinforce more P1 activities at the beginning of every session, during regster and leaving the carpet time to remind them to focus on sounds/syllables /oral blending etc This seems to be having a positive effect. I have also slowed down the number of new phone/graphemes each week to give us more time to practice blending and segmenting with letters we are more sure of
    I love the games on www.phonicsplay.com as do our kids x

8. Msz

I would look at the ideas here

9. That's just products for sale, Msz. I couldn't find any 'helpful tips. Or am I missing something?

To the OP, for any word of more than 2 phonemes, I would suggest trying progressive blending. Blend the first 2 sounds, get them secure, then 'add' the next sound, get that secure, and so on to the end of the word. It cuts out the need to 'remember' all the sounds for blending (if they can't blend just 2 sounds, I'm stumped...[​IMG] )
    Also, try and get them to be 'reading' the sounds as they blend. There is really no need for memorisation, the sounds are right there on the page in front of them...

10. Hello! I find blending (ha) it into the daily routine really helps like giving them instructions in sound talk while waiting in the line, saying their names in sound talk to send them to wash their hands before lunch (they really like this and will join in attempting to say one anothers names) also I use the register to guage their understanding so I might say s-a-t, what word am I saying? and give each child a different word- can easily differentiate too!
    Hope that helps!!

11. Msz

sorry on my page the book is open and it has step by step instructions to get strugglers blending

[​IMG] if you click on the link under the book you can access all the contents

12. Perhaps you need to evaluate which 'fun games and activities' you are using to practise the skills of blending and segmenting.
    Are they focused on 'fun' and 'activity' rather than the very core skills of blending and segmenting a variety of cumulative words?
    It is not necessarily the 'fun' or variety of activity which is the most effective route to honing the requisite skills of blending for decoding and oral segmenting for encoding (and learning 'which' spelling alternatives are code for the sounds in the focus word) - but how 'core' the activity is.
    By this I mean, is each learner getting a regular opportunity to REALLY apply the skill of reading a growing bank of cumulative decodable words of different structures with VERY SIMPLE, REPETITIVE routines? Or are the learners doing a variety of games and activities - perhaps in groups - which are not so 'core'?
    I would still keep introducing the 'next' letter/s-sound correspondence of whatever programme you are following, rather than keep the slower-to-learn children out of these teacher-led introductions. You are in danger of the children getting further behind.
    Also, look at your pace of introducing new letter/s-sound correspondences.
    I'm promoting the approach of teaching 'systematic' alongside 'incidental' phonics teaching. This means, in effect, you can have a slow, steady pace of introducing the letter/s-sound correspondences allowing children to 'keep up' rather than try to get them to 'catch up' later.
    At the same time, teach any letter/s-sound correspondence as required for both differentiation and to as occurs in the wider curriculum and wider reading and writing activities.
    So, whilst there are definitely children who catch on much slower than others, teachers still need to look at their teaching methods and at the range of their 'fun games and activities' to consider that the activity and fun has taken precedence over CORE activities and individual opportunities to practise the skills.

13. Just in case my reference to 'individual opportunities' is somewhat ambiguous, I mean that the children can have the SAME content to practise, but that EACH child gets to do the activities - not 'group' games and activities.

14. I think the whole blending/segmenting thing has to click for children like a light bulb moment! Obliging the teacher by making the right sound when shown a grapheme is a whole different ball game from understanding that the ultimate aim is to build words by making the consituent sounds. You have to think about what this process involves for a child, and the most important part, if they already know the GPCs well, is listening to the phonemes they are uttering and recognising the word. I would make sure they know what a word is, so that when you ask 'What word can you hear?' they know what you are getting at. They have to know that a word is a unit of meaning that can be written or spoken, so I would demonstrate that, by reading written words with accompanying pictures, and I would make sure the words are familiar words which are in the child's vocabulary. Then I would work on encouraging the children to listen to the words. Whisper them, stretch them out, shout them etc. Use a bank of familiar simple words and make a game of diffentiating them (when spoken)starting with very different words eg 'cat' 'dog' and moving on to very similar words 'mum', 'mug', 'mud'. From there you can get to a stage of sounding out the words you have been using, making it a puzzle in which children have to identify the written word which matches a picture. Continually model sounding out the words, revealing them letter by letter.I know that in the Y1 test children have to read non-words, but I think, to understand the blending process, they need to work with known words, so that they can see the connection between the sounds and the meanings. (I know many will disagree with what I've suggested as well - but take it or leave it.) I would not hold back on teaching phase 3. if these children are capable of learning GPCs I would continue to teach them, but also play games like the one I have suggested in the hope of jogging that light bulb moment.