1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children shouting out

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Feb 3, 2012.

1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

That I'd be interested to know how they compared this with children learning in classrooms where shouting out is not allowed. I suspect they didn't.

2. That those who are quieter are having their learning disrupted by the noisy kids who shout out and that's why they do less well.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I can't tell from the limited info given in the article but it doesn't really seem that cause & effect have been considered. It implies that the REASON the shouter-outers do well is cos they shout out. But perhaps if you are naturally more able you are more likely to shout out, and the reason some kids don't shout out is that they don't know the answer?!
    It might benefit some kids, but it drives me up the wall. If you ask a maths question and someone shouts out the answer, most of the 29 other kids (esp lazy and less able ones) assume that is the correct answer and don't bother to work it out themselves. I think this hinders learning. I love it when a noisy kid shouts out the wrong answer though....I then deliberatly call on a child I know to be a bit lazy and see if they just copy the answer tha twas shouted out or actually work it out!

4. Tom Bennet has said everything I want to say..

http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/2012/02/lets-say-something-so-stupid-we-have-to.html

5. Didn't this only apply to children with adhd type conditions? Children who have difficulty controlling their impulsive tendencies were shown to do better if they shouted out. Childrne who were not impulsive and did not shout out, did just as well (as far as I can make out from the rather confused reporting).
    My first thought was - OK, fair enough, but how is the learning of the other 29 affected by the 'shout outer'!
    I can't see how it would be workable in a class of average ten year olds!

6. Thinking back to my school days, the people who did shout out barely scraped through their GCSEs. I wouldn't even answer when I was asked to and I graduated with a first class degree.
    Yes, this is only anecdotal but nevertheless it seems an odd finding to me, given my experience.
    Then again, I'm also summer born and was on free school meals...

7. roise

roise New commenter

Thank you so much sunpainter for the link to Tom Bennet's blog. I loved it particularly the last bit.

"And of course, the real heart ache is that people will pick up on research like this, and attempt to shoe horn it somehow into the classroom, advising impressionable teachers to let their kids shout out because of some imagined benefit it brings. What kind of people? Normally people who have never taught in a classroom, never will, and yet have the kind of stones to tell people like you and me how children best learn. Get back in your pit, weasels. We have a job to do."