1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children on facebook; What are you're opinions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lauren_Emily, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hey,
    I'm currently doing a research masters in Criminology and for my research I want to look at safeguarding issues involving children on social networking sites.
    For the planning stages, I really want to get in contact with as many people involved in education as possible to find out the youngest age group where the majority of children have profiles on social networking sites.
    What age group would you say that was from your own experiences?
    Also I was wondering from you're own experiences/stories you've heard; have you any stories about inappropriate online behaviour regarding children on social networking sites that you could share? Do you have any opinions regarding children on social networking sites? Do children in you're classes add you on facebook?
    Any help I could get would be great and I'd really appreciate it.
    Thank you!
    Lauren[​IMG]

2. Hey,
    I'm currently doing a research masters in Criminology and for my research I want to look at safeguarding issues involving children on social networking sites.
    For the planning stages, I really want to get in contact with as many people involved in education as possible to find out the youngest age group where the majority of children have profiles on social networking sites.
    What age group would you say that was from your own experiences?
    Also I was wondering from you're own experiences/stories you've heard; have you any stories about inappropriate online behaviour regarding children on social networking sites that you could share? Do you have any opinions regarding children on social networking sites? Do children in you're classes add you on facebook?
    Any help I could get would be great and I'd really appreciate it.
    Thank you!
    Lauren[​IMG]

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That will vary considerably by locality among other factors. In my own area, I would say that a majority of Y7 students have some form of profile on Facebook.
    I think like with so many other things that age is one of the least helpful factors in determining its suitability. I know of students in Year 6 who use Facebook regularly under the watchful eye of a parent, and equally of 15-year-olds who post the most dreadful of things without a though and with no real guidance.
    They try occasionally.

4. On supply I was meeting children with facebook profiles as young as year 4 - they lie about their age, and they do ask to add you.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Many of my year 6 children have FB profiles. Some with the full knowledge and approval of parents, some probably not.

I know of no criminal activity involving them, they seem to use it instead of a phone. Obviously having the profile is criminal as they are underage, but other than that it seems to be fine.

No they don't add me as a 'friend' nor would they ever be able to. My security settings are too high for them to see anything, I'd never accept them and, to be honest, they probably think I am way too old and decrepit to be on there anyway!

6. About a third of my year 3 children said they used facebook.

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I know of children in year 1 that have FB. All of my current yr 6 have FB and they know to not try and add me.

8. At least half my Y5 class are on FB. Children in school sometimes do send us friend requests but I just ignore them. The previous Y6 always try when they leave too but are treated the same. If any child asks me I always say it is not appropriate as I am their teacher not a friend.

9. Hi
    Don't know if this is relevant but I know of someone who has adopted children. They have to be particularly careful about FB accounts and therefore the parents keep a very watchful eye on the FB accounts. They have also made sure that they are only on there with false names - their friends know what they are called but obviously no-one else would be able to trace them.

10. 99% of my Year 6 Class have FB accounts or other social networking - Bebo, MySpace. Most have parental permission and many are supervised but I know not all. Talking to other members of staff we have few children in Year 1 with accounts "To play the games.." We have very strict rules about FB and the adding of children or parents as friends, of course this is a HUGE no no...I have my security set appropriately that I do not appear on searches but some do get through - mainly pupils I have taught in the past who are now in Year 9 + they are automatically ignored. The children in my class have asked - I have a good relationship with my class but have told them in no uncertain terms, if they try to add me I WILL report them for being under age (None of them have tried since I said this!) and in a jokey fashion have said they can add me when they are 30! [​IMG]
    We have had problems in Year 5/6 of cases of cyber bullying and chat bullying which is handled via appropriate channels.

11. Thank you for all the responses [​IMG]
    From asking around and from what you've been saying I'm seeing that bullying over social networking sites is quite common in younger people, something I was previously unaware of. Could anyone give me any examples of this? Is it name calling or are there other types of bullying? Do the children report this kind of behaviour to you? And how do you then deal with it?
    I really appreciate all the comments and stories, its really helpful.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr I didn't get that from what we here have said. The newspapers tell us it is common, but I've come across far less cyberbullying than normal name calling/falling out/bullying in real life.

13. I know the year 6 children in my school have all got fb profiles but I teach year 1 and am pretty sure they haven't. It's difficult with parents of children when they are also colleagues; some of the LSAs in my school requested my friendship[ and I have accepted them although they are also parents- we get on well as colleagues- and I am now thinking of having a real cull just in case other parents, who are friends of the LSAs, see anything of my profile or pics etc. Our head has had to have quite a few serious meetings with some parents who have written entirely unsuitable things on fb, criticising the school and some of the staff etc. Not strictly to do with children, sorry, but more an insight into the world of being a teacher and facebook!!

14. You're right, I think only one person mentioned it here, I just meant from generally asking around other people have mentioned it to me and was just wondering if anyone else had any examples of it.

15. The above message was in response to minnieminx by the way! sorry, I'm new to using the forum.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's not just Facebook. Just ask your class how many of them play online games and then find out the kind of thing that happens on them! Listen to the names of the games they play and how often they have had to block users because of abuse they get!

17. Year 2.

they lie about their age, and many do not understand what they are getting themselves into. In my experience, many parents have set up the profiles for them, but haven't told them about the risks or how to deal with them. I know that there is nothing much I can do about this, apart from help them identify and deal with the risks.

Not in my current class. They do know I am on FB, but I have explained to them why I cannot (and don't want to) add them, so they don't bother. However, I have had previous students (before we started teaching E-Safety) who tried to add me. I always explain reasons for not adding them.

18. I had a reception class last year and a parent told me how her child (4) had managed to write a sentence on her facebook wall... i think it was mums account but she was using the computer alone (she'd written 'pop is on the roof' which was such a huge achievement!).
    I also had a parent try to add me (decline)but no children yet.
    I have a friend who worked as a TA at a secondary school and we found a facebook group page dedicated to him with some highly innapropriate comments on - some joking and some not. Either way it was quite disterbing in truth! Theyd also managed to find his profile picture(couldnt get onto his page for security) and copied this to use as the groups picture!

19. Facebook is the bane of my life at school. I lead year 6 and have an increasing amount of really horrible bullying and name calling to deal with on facebook. It infuriates me that this all takes place out of school yet children, and parents, regularly come to me with horrible tales of name calling (including some really horrible, horrible name calling and death threats) for me to deal with. We've had the police in to give a 'scary' talk about the perils of facebook. When I've printed pages off from facebook to show parents what their children have written they generally claim their child's account has been hacked in to as their child would never write such things... sigh....

I recently had to get involved with year 4 pupils doing the same kinds of things. It worries me how parents let their children have free access to the internet which is comparable, if not worse, to letting them wander round town at night by themselves.

It's NOT my job to parent these children (or their parents) yet I frequently have to get involved but in a horrible powerless way as I can't actually punish the children as it happens off site. Facebook don't give a monkeys whether the child is 13, 10 or 8.

Very frustratingly I can't access facebook at school so I can't show children how to change their privacy settings etc. Is there a powerpoint or something with screen captures so I can show them this?

20. Not that I am aware of, but you could quite easily do one yourself using the 'orint screen' tab on your computer. [​IMG]