1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children not hitting end of year levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by I_like_food, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I am wondering about other people's experience on this

I am in my second year of teaching and as in all schools, the children I teach have a set end of year target for Reading, Writing and Maths. Some I feel will not hit that target of 2 sub levels progress. However this is a challenging class (many of the classes in this school are) and am worried that them not hitting their targets will be a reflection on me. For some children I think it is a big jump anyway.

Have people had this happen to them regularly?

2. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Yep! Ours are supposed to make three sub levels of progress, rather than two; it's simply madness.

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Try being in year 6 and having the pressure of getting them all to 4+! This year 1 of my children has made absolutely 0 progress (and in some assessments actually go backwards) whereas another one has made 2 whole levels progress in maths (he started the year assessed as a 2C, most recent assessment he just got a 4)

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Is this for all years?

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

It's 3 for KS1, but it's 'only' two sub levels in KS2. Is this different in other schools?

6. Both my children (daughter G&T, son SA+) had significant problems with school because of this way of, presumably, 'raising expectations'. The idea that all children should be expected to follow the learning and/or developmental trajectory of the average child is indeed bizarre.

7. Milgod

Not sure about KS1. It is 3 points per year average over the class that our school looks for in KS2. This fits in with reaching L4 at the end of Y6.

8. Welcome to modern teaching. Your children are no longer children, but numbers.Their happiness, maturity, manners, consideration for others, progress in all other subjects, love of school, etc are not reflected in the data. In fact, look at ECM and most of it is completely ignored by this.

9. It irritates me no end that SMT in my school are always stressing about levels and expected progress and coming up with a million and one different ways of recording the SAME BLOODY ASSESSMENT DATA!! Argh. I miss special ed where no one gave a stuff about levels and only cared about helping each child to achieve their potential. That's what teaching should be about. In my school it's 3 sublevels in KS1 and I am in year 1. How are we meant to achieve this when the first term was mainly transition from EYFS (20% teaching and 80% child initiated stuff, ***) They need to decide where the priority lies; smooth transition or raised levels.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

SMT are stressing because the Head is stressing and the Head is stressing because the SIPs are stressing, and they are stressing because the LEA are stressing too! The pressure to "improve results" is relentless, as soon as you hit your targets, up they go!

11. When did children become numbers and not free people? (love The Prisoner :p)

So have people had regular years where their class has not hit the percentage of x number at n level?

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Just about every year! In my school each child is roughly 10%. This year I apparently have to get 77% to level 4. I have SEN child and one EAL child who has been in the country just long enough to count in the results and also has some SEN difficulties, neither will get level 3 let alone 4. So I'm down to 80% already. If just ONE child has a bad day, doesn't achieve level 4 or , as happened last year throws up all over his reading comprehension, then I've missed the targets and will ( according to our SIP) be a dead cert for Special Measures when OFSTED are in. No pressure there then[​IMG]

13. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

My pm Target is for all kids to have made 2 levels progress by the end of y 6. In my first year it was to get 100% level 4. Totally unrealistic given some children were level 2 at the start of 6! Consequently I didn't move up the pay scale that year. All y6 now have learning mentors and have to stay back after school. I do 3 one to one sessions a week (expected. Didn't volunteer!) Regarding assessments though, you should take all evidence into account not just what they get in one test. If they've gone up 2 levels in a short space of time something doesn't quite add up!

14. Why 3 sub levels? Is this some backwards way of making sure that they make 2? In reality, they are only supposed to make 1.5 every year. The world has gone mad!

15. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Some confusion here: I thought it was 2 sub-levels per year, year on year, regardless of key stage?

16. Milgod

That is what many schools say but even that is beyond national expectations. It would result in all children being L5 by the end of Y6 not L4. A nice idea, but for most schools not going to happen.

17. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

National expectations for a child at end of year 2 is 2b, at end of year 6 is 4b. So at KS2 this is 6 sublevels over 4 school years - average of 1.5 sub-levels per year. Schools aim for more than this to be labelled good / outstanding?