1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

children, mental illness

Discussion in 'Education news' started by hammie, Mar 5, 2016.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

How very sad, reading the reports about headteachers complaining about lack of mental health support for the children in their care.
    When I was training, my college was visited by representatives from Japan. Those of my generation, will remember the reports about Japan's system leading to child suicides on a regular basis. Children under too much pressure to pass exams, endless after school revision sessions and so forth.
    Their education ministers came to look at our more liberal system that produced free thinking adults who had lots of bright ideas and children who, on the whole, did not set out to kill themselves.

So now, with our children some of the unhappiest in the world, which system have we allowed to take root in the UK?

And back to the report; Headteachers should stop blaming the NHS and set their own house in order first.