1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children leaving classroom for interventions

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Newee, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I've been running an intervention group for KS2 children for a few months now, and notice that not all of the children like leaving the classroom. Sometimes its because they like the lesson they are missing but other times, they just feel embarrassed. I'd be grateful if you could let me know you say or do in this situation as I don't want the children to feel upset.

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I am quite lucky that I do interventions for high ability children as well as low ability children - so there is probably less embarrassment. I do make sure that the kids have lots of fun - so I get more shouts of "can I come out with you today?" rather than reluctance. Please don't take that as a criticism - of course all children are different, and you may have some that would complain even if you spent the whole intervention telling jokes and eating sweets! The other thing I do, is to make sure that everyone needs help with something - and I tell them how completely dreadful I was at school at art! I do get complaints when I take them out of ICT, though - clearly their favourite subject! Good luck with it x

3. Before you start the intervention you go into the class and you tell the children that they are so lucky because you are starting a special group and you will need to choose children carefully. Ask them to put their hand up if they are interested. I bet all the hands will go up. You thank them and say you will let them know. When your group are formed you get them together and tell them how lucky they are because they have been chosen to come to your group. Give the group a name and make them feel they are belonging to something really special. Get them a badge, bookmark, sticker or something to show they belong. Obviously make it more fun than in the classroom so they want to come. Lots of praise and rewards.
    We run a SEAL intervention for KS2 and I had kids on the playground coming up and asking me if they can come.

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Wow - I LOVE that idea Greenteaaddict !

5. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Like previous poster I don't have a problem with taking infant children out of class for intervention. I support in their class during the morning so always have a different group (just normal groupings) so when they come out in the afternoon I think they just see this as an extension of morning class work,
    When I was asked to support two boys in year 6 class for behaviour support the class teacher used Grrenteaaddict's strategy. she explained how I was going to work on a special project with a group from class but unfortunately could only take four pupils at a time then asked who would like to take part. Thankfully the two boys I needed to target put their hand up and class teacher chose two who could benefit from working with the two boys. The first activity I did was a cooperation activity which involved building bridges, using rope saws ( supervised) and other bits so they saw it as great fun. It was easier to move back indoors to complete the behaviour programme where I encouraged them to name their group (even made a badge that they voted on which to use) to identify their group. When I changed the grouping a few weeks later I whispered to the target child that I hoped the teacher would let him come out again but there were so many others wanting to come put. (teacher chose him again and another group of children he could try to work with)
    So although he knew why he was out working on behaviour strategies it didn't feel like he was targeted specifically (he was) which made him much more enthusiastic about being singled out.[​IMG]