1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children labelled the best

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Devonsent, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hit the nail on the head for me. Highest attainer might not always be the best acheiver so would agree that these are grey areas to start comparing and publicising to parents.

2. At first reading of this I am against it totally. I wouldn´t want it for my child, and especially not when so young and emerging skills are so fickle and sporadic. It is unnecessary and irrelevant to children to have so much importance given to skills they are still mastering not to mention the previous comments about attainment versus achievement. It is not about being opposed to friendly competition nor about children not trying but children have a natural sense of justice when their own efforts are not valued, as equally they have a sense of the absurdness of many adult schemes to basically get them to do as they are told and not what they think.

As for a non-uniform day, what is that about. Why are they having to wear uniform anyway - it is a primary school? If children didn't wish to come in uniform on days of their choosing or for whatever reason would the whole edifice of rewards fall down? It also sounds like a waste of paper to write to all parents about really rather trifling ´successes´. If all children worked because they were motivated and interested, if they supported their friends and peers not by being accorded special status within the rules of the school but by actually helping others then maybe PSE would also be strengthened.

Stickers, stars, certificates and other elaborate mechanisms are often more effort to maintain than they are worth. They are also not really necessary where teachers and children are have trust, boundaries, understanding, (teachers understanding children´s purposes), interest, motivation and enthusiasm, where success is celebrated in genuinely warm and reciprocal ways both for attainment and achievement so that all can bask and share a little in its reflected light.

If I were you I would raise your doubts, schools do get it wrong. I recently had a conversation with a Finnish colleague who remarked that the long tail of underachievement, the differentiation that we place such value on, in her country aren't given such importance. There, classes work to get all their class members to standards and through exams and tests etc. All work together much more to support children who have weaker understanding. I wonder if we don´t all lose something by our UK approach. Those who seem to succeed and those who seem to fail.

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

What message is this sending for the other children who don't get the 'best'? How many children would be thinking, I'll never be the 'best', that will never be me, so why should I bother.

All effort and success should be celebrated, so that the even the slowest child can have some measure of success.

They could wear a badge for the week. Maybe they learned a times table, did a great chalk drawing.

So OP, I agree that this is not the way to celebrate. Also, how does it make parents feel? What if their child never gets 'the best'.