1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children in Need, Maths and Y2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Can anyone suggest any activities for Numeracy linking to measures? I've got 30 Y2 chidlren by myself so nothing too difficult!!!! I was thinking about baking but not sure how I could manage it with 30, can anyone wave a wand and magic an idea? I've looked on the CiN website and the recipes are good but without help, I'm not sure how I'd cope...

Thanks!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Could you take this objective:
    estimate, measure and weigh objects; choose and use simple measuring instruments, reading and interpreting numbers, and scales to the nearest labelled division.
    You bake some cakes of different sizes, but with a CiN theme and take them in. Then have the children doing estimating and weighing of the cakes. Place them in order of size. Measure the diameter of the cakes. You could use standard and non-standard measures. Estimate and then check how many cakes it would take to cover a table top.

Or perhaps take some ready made plain cakes in and all of the children weigh and measure the ingredients for a simple icing in small groups, make the icing and then decorate the cakes? Could get messy though!

Finally - eat the cakes! [​IMG]