1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children in nappies in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Hi, I have 4 children starting reception in sept who are still in nappies. Anyone else in this situation and if so, whats the best way to manage it? do you abandon focus activities when need changing etc?

2. Hi, I have 4 children starting reception in sept who are still in nappies. Anyone else in this situation and if so, whats the best way to manage it? do you abandon focus activities when need changing etc?

3. I know people will get mad with me for saying this but...THIS RIDICULOUS!!! Is there a medical reason for it? We are teachers, paid to teach...not toilet train!
    Sorry for not being constructive and helpful
    Lucy

4. No, no medical reasons that have been found so far. They are just not potty trained properly.
    I am slightly worried as whilst I can deal with the odd accident.... I havent changed a nappy since I worked in a baby room 7 yrs ago. I have no children of my own yet so I think I may find it difficult ( I puke easily!!! and so does my TA)

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Last year I told parents of children in nappies (no medical reasons) that I wanted them sent in pants with spares if needed and actually only had a few accidents after the first week. My TA and I reminded them pretty frequently to go to the loo and "try" and as you say they were toilet trained really quickly.

6. We do this too, however if they 'mess' themselves then I always call the parents in to change them. That is as long as there are no medical aspects to it ofc.

7. I do feel your pain here, but also know several parents who have had a nightmare time trying to get their children trained. Not all children are 'ready' before school age, and some are just very much later than others to get the hang of things. 'Accidents' are part and parcel of dealing with Reception aged children. Clearly, we are teachers, meant to teach, but we are also 'in loco parentis' and need to deal with this sort of thing as it arises. I think the policy of 'no nappies' and sending children in with lots of spare pants is a good one, although it may make your life harder in the short-term! Many schools (and nurseries) have a policy of only changing wetters, with 'messers' having mum or dad called in. In practice though, this is difficult, unless parents are very close by - surely nobody is going to happily leave a child sitting in its own mess for very long! On the upside, children usually train for poo, before they train for wee!
    I would go with the 'no nappy' rule and bite the bullet of frequent stopping for changes (do you have TA support?) but please bear in mind, that a lack of toilet-training is not always a result of poor parenting!

8. Don't know that is quite right- they tend to poo less and at more predictable times.
    I don't dismiss the fact that some children are not developmentally ready or have medical conditions.As Msz has said that staff in her setting are able to train children quite quickly- would n't this success post arrival at school seem to indicate that incontinence pre arrival in school might be down to parenting choice.
    Also I have been at this game for years and it is only inthe past 5 years that Yr R children arrive without being toilet trained. The OP has four children in nappies in one class, and I think this does indicate a parenting trend.
    One can't let children stay wet or messy because that would be discrimination. The DDA prevents us from saying that children should be toilet trained before entry into school or nursery so we as teachers are stuck with toilet training.
    This being the case, I feel that it is appalling to expect teachers to manage a Yr R class of 30 on her own. If you are toilet training several children even a ratio of 2:30 is pushing it.
    Unfortunately OP will have to abandon any planned activities or focus task to manage these chidlren during the Autumn Term. She will be an expensive toilet trainer and hard luck on the other 26 children.

9. I don't disagree with any of your points Hedda. I am just giving a gentle reminder that there are many parents who struggle with toilet training. It is not necessarily because they are poor parents. Children who are late trainers often have a family history of this, and many parents are far more distressed by the situation than the teachers who have to deal with it in school. The children themselves are often embarrassed too. While bringing up my own young children, I have been heavily involved in running parent and toddler groups. I have met many parents worried beyond belief about their child starting school when not completely 'dry'. My own daughter was easy to train, but my husband was a school wetter thirty years ago, despite my mother in law's successes in getting her other two children out of nappies by 18 months old!
    If the OP has 4 children in nappies (although they may not be by September) then obviously, she needs extra support from the school with this.
    In response to your point about 'poo' training - this tends to happen first (for most children) because they physiologically get more 'warning' before it happens, and so are usually able to get to the loo/tell somebody before it happens. Wees tend to 'surprise' them more!

10. There is a discussion about this on Radio 2 Jeremy Vine at mo.

11. Msz

12. What was the conclusion of above?
    Good article in D.Telegraph. Msz- thanks for posting it.

13. Millie- I was really careful not to use the phrase "poor parents". As the Telegraph points out, it is just a parenting choice which for those of us working in schools has repercussions with staffing and, dare I say it, teaching and learning.

14. We have a little boy coming into rec in september who is not toilet trained and wears nappies. He does not have any medical condition he will be in the other teachers class but we discussed it and said we are going to get mum to come in and change him. the only time I have ever changed a nappy in school is when I worked with a little girl with Downs and we had her toilet trained really quickly. Apparently this little boy goes and gets his bag and then tells staff he has done a wee and needs changing. If this child knows when he has done it then he surely is ready for toilet training. Nappies these days are so absorbent children dont feel uncomfortable in them as soon as they have done something so he obviously does know when he needs to go. Also we have to leave the room to go to our parents room where there is a changing table, I dont intend taking a child into a room on my own and changing his nappies. I have 2 children myself so I know how difficult it can be but perserverance is the answer.

15. It wasn't that great actually and ended up focussing more on how parents can potty train children. The doctor did say it was a 'bizarre' trend and when a caller said that school nurses were helping parents, she seemed to think that was a very expensive use of resources for something that parents shouldn't need that much help with.
    At the start someone (I think it was the same person in the Telegraph article) said how nappies are too comfortable now and how parents are reluctant to try when they don't think their child is ready etc. She also said how it was becoming an increasing trend and how more schools are asking for advice on it.
    I noticed how you said you were careful not to use the phrase 'poor parents'. Well I will use it. Unless it's a medical condition, children who arrive in Reception in nappies are the result of poor parenting! It is not necessary and I really feel for the children (and of course all the staff working in Reception). I'm not claiming it's always easy to potty train children but it is the responsibility of the parent and to avoid this is to avoid their duties! Parenting is not easy and we all know that people have busy lives but this is not an excuse to take the easy route all the time. We know it's possible to toilet train children way before their 4th birthday because most parents have been doing this for years and years. We are not asking the impossible! I think it's a shocking trend and I hope it's one that doesn't last too long!

16. I toilet trained my little girl just after she was 2 and no it wasn't easy but you have to stick with it. Theres no reason why it can't be done before they start school unless it is for medical reasons. I'm going into LFS in September and we ask that children are potty trained by then or at least wearing pull-ups and trying to go to the toilets themselves.

17. I have been tryign to find info on this. We ahd a child in pull ups a couple of years ago and his mum lived over the road and didn;t work. She was happy to come and change him when he pooed. By Easter he was OK and in pants. In September we have a little girl in who is in pants and has been toilet trained. However she generally has at least one accident (often poo) during her pre-school sessions. They have changed her, but they have a muhc smaller ratio and still 2 adults are left in the room when one changes her. We have one toilet at the back of our classroom which we will have to use, so everyone else would have to hold on. Also, the TA in my class has been saying that she cannot be made to change a child! I am quite happy to do so, but I'm a very expensive nappy changer and it leaves her supervising the other 28 children, and we also have to collect the children who are insode to go out or vice versa as one person can only be in one place. Or we phone mum who lives round the corner and doesn't work! I know which is the more common sense solution!

18. rharg
    thanks for your reply

19. .
    It is crazy isn't it? Actually. I rather think that nappy changing might come in TA's brief.
    In Early Years speak, a TA is a practitioner too.
    I think other parents would be annoyed if you as teacher were out changing nappies rather than teaching their children. I am not saying that as teachers that we should buck pass or not share the messy jobs. I agree, looking at it from a parent's or HT's point of view- is using a teacher as the chief bum wiper the most effective use of of time and money and training.
    I am not sure that ringing Mum is an option in the legal sense although it does seem the common sense solution. .

20. Msz

this is the advice from my union on the subject
    Personal care of pupils
    ATL often receives enquiries from members about what their responsibilities are when pupils wet or soil themselves in class, and what schools are required to do if a staff member does help a pupil change their clothes.
    Some school staff have the duty of administering personal care - such as helping pupils who are wet or who soil themselves in class to change their clothes - written into their job descriptions.
    However, if there is nothing in your job description or contract of employment about administering personal care in helping a pupil to change their clothing, then there should not be an assumption that you will undertake these duties. In these circumstances, staff who assist pupils in changing should be treated as volunteers.
    ATL members should make it clear to their headteachers that they are assisting pupils as volunteers, and that their actions should not be regarded as a contractual obligation. The same principle applies to those who administer medication to pupils.
    Additionally, under no circumstances should staff be expected to potty train children, unless this expectation is specifically included in the job description by agreement. ATL members are reporting an increasing number of four- and five-year-olds starting school without having been potty trained. Where this occurs, members should report the matter to their line manager, and the school should then take appropriate action.