1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children hurting staff

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by oldbutgreat, May 9, 2018.

1. oldbutgreat

oldbutgreat New commenter

I have challenging behaviour in my Y1 class. 2 children with EHCPs and one with oppositional defiance disorder (my diagnosis). It's exhausting and I am regularly at the end of my tether, especially since OFSTED is due.

Today one my TAs was kicked in the chin by one of the children with EHCP. It was accidental but accompanied by a lot of verbal abuse, which we all know is not personal but can take its toll. (I hate you, you are the worst teacher, you are ruining my life etc) She became tearful and needed some time out and, sad to say, was very apologetic about it. I explained, as the class teacher, that she didn't need to apologise, that it was understandable that she was upset by this.

The other TA says she gets kicked regularly by this child and has bruises.

What can I do? How can I support my TAs? HOw can I protect them from being hurt?

I have asked again and again for advice on positive behaviour strategies and what our policy is on this but nobody seems to know. THe SENDCO is going to ask the Head.

Apart from that, I feel regularly that I can barely teach the class because of the disruptions, yet accelerated progress is expected. I am often at my wits end and in tears. What should I expect?

2. GladRagsAtMidnight2017

GladRagsAtMidnight2017 Occasional commenter

If it was accidental, have you done a risk assessment for the activity to see if risk can be reduced? If the kick was accidental I don't understand why there was verbal abuse following - can you clarify?

freckle06 likes this.
  3. joyanadia38

joyanadia38 New commenter

This is totally unacceptable, accidentally or not, A teacher should be respected for the hard work they do. Isn't anyone taking measures?

4. oldbutgreat

oldbutgreat New commenter

Yes.

When this pupil has a meltdown (Diagnosed with Autism and has 1;1 as part of his EHCP) he uses verbal abuse as standard. He never takes responsibility for his behaviour and doesn't make the link and screams and shouts that we are ruining his life and we are poo and we are awful and he hates us etc. This is what he does and we understand it as part of a meltdown. He is also very physical and kicks and pushes, often upending chairs as he goes. I wasn't there but I was told that one of his kicks accidentally hit the TA on the chin.

5. GladRagsAtMidnight2017

GladRagsAtMidnight2017 Occasional commenter

What does the SENCO suggest? Do you do ABC forms to see if you can identify triggers and reduce meltdowns as much as possible?
    I would suggest that as soon as the TA or adult with him anticipates a meltdown you are hands off and away from him to protect yourselves. If he is likely to hurt himself or seek others out to hurt them, then you will need training on how to restrain him, but it doesn't sound from what you say that you need that yet.
    It may be that as time goes on and you keep a record of behaviour etc that you find mainstream may not be the best environment for him, if the triggers are linked to being in a mainstream school and you can't reduce them.

Catgirl1964, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  6. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

You could request positive handling / team teach training. The training includes deescalation techniques as well as safe restraint techniques. It also helps with the emotional side of things and ultimately means you have a plan if the child, or someone else is going to get hurt.
    The investment in the training would also provide evidence of the graduated response, (alongside the other strategies suggested). This is good practice and gives the pupil every chance to succeed but also serves as evidence should it become clear over time that the child's needs cannot be met in a mainstream environment.

Norsemaid, oldbutgreat and dizzymai like this.
  7. tgom

tgom New commenter

Part of the problem is all of the various diagnoses of ADHD/ASD/ODD etc. that give the children (and their parents an excuse for poor behaviour (often as a result of poor parenting).

Catgirl1964 likes this.