1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children from social housing not allowed on playground

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bobpite, Mar 26, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

No Rac not all.

Incentives linked to expectancy.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The incentives interact through our sensory systems so 'sall chems. And maybe quantum.
    You could take a little solace from that, maybe.

monicabilongame and needabreak like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Where is the Incentives line not appearing in your original post but only in my quote. This isn't the first time I've noticed this in threads.

4. needabreak

I can see it.

racroesus likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It has appeared now. Your post has now started a new page. Maybe that's the problem, a page runs out of space.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No recognition for the James Bond witticism; I despair.

7. needabreak

Perhaps I post too much... I told myself I'd cut down for new years, do you remember? I'm not posting as much as I once did... Partially on track... No chems Rac!

racroesus likes this.
  8. needabreak

Better?

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That's fine in your own private garden.
    Not in a communal garden area to which children (whether rich or poor) are as entitled to have access as adults.

There's enough concern about children never going out to play these days.

Do you remember what it was like to be a child?

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oh I'm pretty sure if the same sense of segregation and MINES! existed, it could have been actioned.
    I spoke to him tonight and he didn't even understand what I was on about until I showed him the link. And then it was a three-letter acronym asterisked out by the taliban swearfilter.

catmother likes this.
  12. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Ok, you didn't read what I wrote. There are two gardens. One is clearly a playpark for children. The other is a manicured garden that is clearly intended for adults. I was referring to the SECOND GARDEN. I wrote that I would not want a child playing in the SECOND GARDEN if I wanted to sit in the sun and read.

If the kids are allowed in both, it means that adults won't be able to relax in it it while kids are playing and making a noise.

Yes I do remember what it was like to be a child. No way would I have been allowed to run around and disturb the neighbours.

towncryer and needabreak like this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The second garden IS also for the use of children. It has a large wooden frame that has a rope and a large tyre attached to it for several children at a time to swing on. The lawn is for them to run around on. It's a playspace.

corgie11 and chelsea2 like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Is there anything for the use of adults?

towncryer and sparklesparkle like this.
  15. needabreak

When on a similar development the properties granted access to the locked gated gardens commanded a premium price on the cost of their plots as they overlooked it as well as the high maintenance fees already mentioned.

This was accepted because it was very clear in deeds and rental leases. There was no way they could be retrospectively changed without additional costs even if shared ownership properties offered to I crease the their maintenance and backpay the different property price because the maintenance managment was drawn up at he start with a covenant. That said they opened it up for supervised communal residents events several times a year but it wasn't a playground as already mentioned.

That said the news just announced the developer involved in this story has changed their mind.

16. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Both of these are playspaces? Are you sure?

Even if that's true, where are the adults supposed to go? People always think their own kids are charming. Adults who don't know them will have a different view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A quick look at websites tells us that the private homes for sale and rent come with play areas. Some show the fountain jets that spring up in a patio area for children to play in. Others mention the allotment spaces for residents. Many ground floor flats come with their own private garden area. Upper flats have balconies.

Articles from 2013 about the development mention that 40% of the flats and new townhouses are for affordable sale or rent. One block was earmarked for affordable rental. Some of the flats in the rest of the development must therefore have been sold at more affordable pricing than the rest (perhaps for Keyworkers). So 'poorer' purchasers are living amongst those able to afford the higher spec private properties. Shock horror!

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There are loads of secluded patio spaces around the 3.2 acre site. They all lead off the private blocks. That wooden structure in the centre of the private garden is the tyre swing for the 'rich kids'. There's a rectangular pond, set in a patio and patio fountain jets alongside it. There are allotment raised beds. There are private gardens attached to ground floor flats and balconies and roof terraces.
    Banning children from running around does not ensure that the gardens remain quiet. Residents will be holding parties and barbecues. Some adults are actually quite noisy. I sleep on the other side of my house when the neighbours at the back are in full swing with weekend garden parties in the summer.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

They are not for kids to play in. The majority of people in apartments would rather not see or hear kids.

needabreak and sparklesparkle like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Is it not the case that "affordables" are quickly snapped by landlord stoolies, who then either flog or rent them at prices the unrich can't possibly afford.

monicabilongame likes this.