1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children from social housing not allowed on playground

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bobpite, Mar 26, 2019.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Frank beat me to it - these things are not free. Yes, in the UK, we expect access to these things and we should all fight tooth and nail to keep that entitlement. I also believe children should have the right of access to outdoor play. In existing housing this might be difficult to provide but this is a new development which originally seemed to promise to provide it. In my new build development there is a small play area for younger children, the children (and grandchildren) of home owners and those who are renting privately all use it, there is no problem.

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Failing to read what people write before you comment is also rather silly.

My last sentence in post 56 stated: "The only taxes these people pay are indirect taxes such as VAT." Are you going to make a point which is relevant to this? Or are you just going to derail the discussion and cause a spat?

towncryer likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

VAT (and other indirect taxes) take a significant part of the income of many people, more so the lower their income. Yet you seem to think somehow this doesn't count; you certainly imply so.

A very strange attitude...

4. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

They do have the right of access to outdoor play Their parents just want them to have access to something they think is better...even though they are not paying for it.

border_walker and sparklesparkle like this.
  5. FrankWolley

Judging by the outcry, not only the parents think this. And, if you look at the photographs of the two places, you can see why...

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. towncryer

I'm glad you see my point.
    And the garden which these people want to access is paid for by private means by the people who own their properties. However the social housing residents, seem to be under the impression that it should be for their use even if they are not paying.

7. FrankWolley

It's all one development.

The fact that some of the homes are 'social housing' is the price the developer paid for getting permission to develop the site (& no doubt make millions). Social apartheid is not acceptable in the UK in 2019...

8. towncryer

Yes but in this case all the properties are owned by someone...and each owner,whether they are renting out their property or not presumably pays for the play area through their service charge. If children from another block wanted to come over and use the facilities I doubt you would be happy with that.

sparklesparkle likes this.
  9. towncryer

There are two separate areas for two separate blocks it is not social apartheid but the papers would like us all to believe that it is.

You could equally say that the owner residents children have no access to the social playing area...which they don't...but that would not make a sensational enough story.

10. FrankWolley

No. As you can see if you click on the image here...

Untitled1.jpg

11. towncryer

Yes ...an outcry created and encouraged by the media for goodness knows what purpose.

12. towncryer

So when I fly this summer, maybe I should make a big thing about not being able to use the first class facilities on my economy ticket. After all its all one plane...so shouldn't I be entitled? Is this not the social apartheid you think is happening in this block.Those that don't pay should be able to use all the facilities?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

Actually no - on R4 'World at One' they talked to some of the residents who ARE allowed to use the restricted garden/play area, and they have been campaigning for their children's friends from the other homes to be able to use it (a lot of the children go to the same schools).

So not started by the media at all.

monicabilongame, chelsea2 and InkyP like this.
  14. FrankWolley

You can always try...

But I'd guess you'll learn why it isn't a very good analogy pretty quickly.

15. FrankWolley

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Have a look at the BBC News item I posted a link to earlier (expires at 7pm this evening). One of the residents of the privately owned flats states how disappointed she is that the original plans were changed from free access to all to one of segregation. You can also see how the social housing block is slap bang in front of the private-only area.
    It is also stated that Lambeth Council is not happy that the plans were changed after approval and that they are looking into how this happened.

monicabilongame, chelsea2 and InkyP like this.
  17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

monicabilongame and InkyP like this.
  18. towncryer

Oh well...as predicted.
    If all the residents are happy then good.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There is only an under fives play area for the social housing.

In my case there isn't a service charge, the play area was paid for through a scheme on new developments which entails the developer paying 1% of the cost (or profit, not sure) on art e.g. a sculpture or a play area. I don't know if this is just in my area or more widespread. The road is supposed eventually to be adopted by the council, and this would include the play area, at present it is still maintained by the builder. I think children from other roads nearby might come and play, I can see it from my upstairs window but feel no need to police its use.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

No, the play area in the social housing is only for under fives.

When I first read this story I was in two minds but some of the posters on here have placed me firmly on the side of the children in the social housing.