1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children from social housing not allowed on playground

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bobpite, Mar 26, 2019.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Surely that's not surprising, though, given that the private playground is for 149 apartments and townhouses, while the social housing one caters for only 36 apartments?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

One is a play area the other is a garden.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And if you don't pay national insurance you shouldn't get a pension or free medical treatment and, if you don't pay, your children shouldn't get these things either.

4. LondonCanary

You don't.

towncryer likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I doff my cap and pull my forelock to all those very wealthy people who keep the world working for me. I don't begrudge them their money but when directors of companies saw four-fold pay increases during a time when their basic workers didn't beat inflation I think that there is something wrong: if I work and can put bread on my table, clothes on my back and a roof over my head today I should still be able to do it tomorrow doing the same job rather than having to give one of them up.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Its not a public garden when residents are paying for its upkeep.

Its a communal garden for all the members of the community who pay that upkeep.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But you get social security. And signing on gives you a stamp.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    monicabilongame likes this.
  8. LondonCanary

That is also a contributory benefit.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My terminology is sadly out of date but what you are saying is that if I don't work for money I die cold, wet and hungry in the street under my rags and if I am breathing my last after pension age I still die cold, wet and hungry in the street under my rags? There are no payments made to me.

10. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I think there is too much expectation in the UK of things being free and it comes as a shock to some when they find it is not. When you live out of the country for any length of time you see how lucky most people are in the UK ..even if they don't think so. You also see how entitled many are with their expectation of free housing,schooling and health care unfortunately for some,this expectation of something for nothing spills over into other things...because they know their rights, you see.

11. LondonCanary

I am saying some benefits, to which you refer, are contributory and paid to all contributors and/or dependents. Other are discretionary and means tested. Ever since 5/7/48

racroesus likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have experienced the same thing out of the country. I accepted high rate tax payments in the UK but in the main I found that those with very little were trying to improve their lot and that of the their children. I think it is important for us to have our social protection even if very few deserving poor benefit compared to the undeserving poor and the undeserving rich.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's fine but if I have named the beasts wrongly at least the elephant with the big long neck, big long legs and variegated fur is available to those who have never contributed.

14. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

You are all wrong about this.

It isn't the nasty capitalist developer who is to blame. Nor is it children-haters, nasty capitalists who have the cheek to buy their own homes or the lack of a Corbyn government.

It's Brexit, silly! How could it be anything else?

nomad, florian gassmann and towncryer like this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Everything you name - housing, schooling, health care - is of course not 'free'. It's paid for from taxes (direct & indirect) which all UK residents pay.

16. sparklesparkle

People who aren't engaging in economic activity don't pay tax. And those who are lower-paid are net beneficiaries rather than contributors. The only taxes these people pay are indirect taxes such as VAT.

towncryer and nomad like this.
  17. FrankWolley

VAT? Just to name one indirect tax that anyone living here pays (and there are others, but I can't be bothered to list them!)

18. sparklesparkle

Is that because you don't know what they are?

19. FrankWolley

Nope.

It's because stating "People who aren't engaging in economic activity don't pay tax" is really rather silly....

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not really as it's not the other child's own garden. One group of children can come and go as they please, others can't.