1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children freezing to death

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

every day in Syria. What can we do to help? Unicef? Another charity? Any other suggestions?

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Medecins sans frontieres are always going to be my charity of choice in terms of the efficiency of how they use donations, this after much research into how various charities operate.
    Last year however they were forced to retract most of their medical bases in Northern Syria through hostility and lack of authorisation from the regime. They had been issuing blankets, medical supplies, wound therapy, shelter, food and nurture to many of the displaced children in places such as Ain Issa and Tal T'mar but simply found the threat to themselves in doing so was obviating their benefit and dissipating their own resources. Multiple times they were strategically subjected to hostilities expressly targeted at any aid effort. In effect, they were forced to flee, as well as most other health and aid organisations.
    MSF remain present only in North Western Syria, and when able are still helping remotely in more critical locations. Continuing to donate to them makes sense as a gesture of recognition that they can and will continue to operate under the most inhumane duress imaginable. They know their stuff both strategically and at ground level, they don't give up, and they deserve all the help they can get.

(fwiw they also operate a TES account (which I cannot find atm...duh) under which they provide some excellent resources for teacher led sessions about their work in MFL/Humanities/RE/Citizenship/PSHE)

Edit-found it, @msf
    Just brilliant, thank you

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    yodaami2, Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

It must be pretty grim in a refugee camp even more so in the winter. I had to google children freezing to death as I hadn't seen anything about it in the media until you posted it @Corvuscorax which says something in itself. Very sad. What to do? I don't know.

4. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Is there a charity would you recommend? I was put off Unicef after donating to one of their TV appeals and then getting relentless text messages asking for more donations.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

No, I don't know what to recommend, I was hoping someone else might
    @sbkrobson has suggested Medecins sans fronteires which sounds like it is worth looking into

sbkrobson likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If anyone is interested, here is their website with the basics
    https://www.msf.org.uk/
    and a more disinterested description of what they do from Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Médecins_Sans_Frontières

The reason I fly the flag for them is that they remain largely untainted by negative press, unlike another huge well known organisation who (one example only) briefly floundered under recent scandals sorrounding abuse and exploitation, or a slightly lesser known Scandinavian organisation who are known to have links with cult type recruitment.
    There are far too many charities who on the face of it commit to humanitarian rescue and aid effort, but when you look into the structure and financing of their action, are evidently also interested in internal petty politics, developing their own presence, proclaiming their "successes". And so your donation is part diluted away from your intention.
    MSF go in like a St Bernard with brandy, and always have. No piety, just medical care where needed, with endorsements spanning the world and many decades.
    I give when I can.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    nomad likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are they in Yemen at the moment? They must have their work cut out.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes.Here is their latest from there
    https://twitter.com/msf_yemen?lang=en
    They lost two of their twelve hospitals there to bombing late last year I think, and if you scroll through a little you can see reports of heightened threat to two other hospitals at the beginning of this year too, but look what they are still doing, so strong.