1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children fighting!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wolverina, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Both children on SEN but that isn't an excuse. Both have a history of poor behaviour although have made great efforts to improve. HT talked to them and they "were very honest and grown up about what happened and accepted that they had not behaved well." said sorry to lunch time supervisor and came back to class!!

2. Both children on SEN but this isn't an excuse. They have a history of poor behaviour but to be fair they have tried very hard to behave well recently. However, HT talked to them and because they "were very grown up and admitted what they done wasn't good behaviour and they said sorry to lunch time supervisour" they were allowed to come back to class . That was it!!

3. Oops! Posted message twice!!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If the hitting was accidental then it sounds fine. If they hit her on purpose then exclusion surely.

The refusal to do as told and stop fighting should also have led to some kind of consequence.

Same as any other situation. Deliberate actions warrant consequences, accidents don't.

5. I agree, but some schools just don't seem to know how to deal with such disruptive or violent behaviour.
    Last year, I had one child who spat on me, frequently swore at me, pushed me so hard I nearly fell over (and would have done if my TA hadn't been stood behind me), threw things at me and constantly refused to do what I asked. The child often walked out of the classroom, sometimes outside of the building, and disrupted virtually every moment of every day.
    The headteacher did nothing, apart from actively allowing the child to continue believing that they were in charge in the classroom. If the child hadn't been year 6, and leaving at the end of the year, I would have left.
    I think that schools need to have clear policies in place, which clearly set out that if a pupil does X, then Y will happen - no ifs, buts or excuses. The message that goes out to other children if nothing happens is that behaviour like this is acceptable. Every single parent mentioned this child at parents' evening, and told me that it was impacting on their child's learning, which of course it was.
    Of course, if the hitting was accidental, then that is different to deliberately hitting out at a member of staff, but I agree that there should have been some consequence for the children refusing to follow a lunchtime supervisor's instruction.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with you as well! Deliberate violence and abuse of members of staff (and pupils) is totally unacceptable.

But we don't actually know what happened here. Boys do get into fights sometimes at lunchtime. Sometimes they are so involved that simply asking them to stop isn't going to work in a million years. Then an adult (ideally two, but it isn't always possible) wades in to separate the boys. The adult gets hit by a stray fist. Children are apologetic and it was an accident. Exclusion would seem a bit harsh. Actually serious consequences for not obeying a member of staff while in the midst of a fight might be a bit harsh as well.

In my first term I had a year 10 class. One day two boys had a fight in afternoon registration and I waded in to stop them. I got hit on the bridge of nose by one or other of them and it really, really hurt. Stopped them fighting instantly and the rest of the class were silent. I got one of the very sensible girls to call the register names while I marked the register with eyes watering due to the pain. I had no clue at all what to do and thought it might have been considered my own fault for being daft enough to try to stop two large lads fighting. Next morning I was still wondering what to do about it when the boys arrived early for school. One with a flowering pot plant and one with a box of chocolates. They were soooooo contrite it was sweet and I didn't end up doing anything about it at all. They were putty in my hands for the rest of the time I was there.

Definitely deal with each situation as it happens, can't really have a hard and fast rule.

7. When I was a lunchtime supervisor a Y1 child slapped me in the face on purpose. He was removed from the playground and told off. That was it, nothing else. A week earlier he had thrown a car at another lunchtime lady and scratched her glasses. Again, he was told off and nothing further.

8. Agree completely - just pointing out that sometimes, schools just don't know what to do with violent children and so end up doing nothing.