1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children 'devastated' ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk...-logo-put-re-chalked-white-horse-alton-barns/

Articles of clothing were spread out on top of the chalk by members of Extinction Rebellion and later removed, but according to this and other reports in the national press, the community and schoolchildren were left 'devastated' and 'in tears'.

I could understand use of this terminology if there had been a major catastrophe, disaster or other significant event with widespread damage caused to the local area, but a few bits of cloth on top of the chalk??

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Extinction Rebellion have done little to garner support for their cause. Stopping people getting to work in London, making children cry, defacing a public building and racking up huge costs for policing will not endear the "unco-operative crusties" to many of the wider public.

3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Things the UK thinks we can deal with:
    • Disruption caused by Climate Change
    • Disruption caused by No-Deal Brexit

Things the UK thinks we can't deal with:
    • Disruption caused by climate change protests

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But where would the local ‘big news’ be then?

Local Children Vaguely Unimpressed

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The question to ask is why does Extinction Rebellion think disrupting the lives of others will make those other people support their cause? It is more likely to do the opposite.

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I thought exactly the same when I read it. I can't see that the children would be "devastated" what a load of codswollop. Press exaggerating stuff as usual

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What do they need to do to convince you of the science and the need for dramatic immediate action to keep the planet in a habitable state for most of us?

hplovegame48 likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Bit of thread drift (sorry) but hypothetically if you, @Scintillant, were today given the unfettered power and resources to take this "dramatic immediate action" in the UK what action, specifically, would you take? How would the way we live our lives be different

(a) 12 months from now?

(b) 5 years from now?

I ask because last week I was in a lively conversation with friend and neighbours (one of whom is actually one of the 'backroom organisers' for ER in my area - it has a quite a lot of internal dissension at the moment apparently and that Roger bloke has been sidelined according to the gossip, but I digress). No-one disputed the science or the need for change; no climate change deniers here.

But a commitment to "do something" held back by the lack of clarity from ER and other campaign groups about what the new world would look like. Specifically, how will our day to day lives change? eg How will we heat our houses (currently c 85% heated by gas apparently)? Will we be forced to be vegans (meat production made illegal)? I've seen suggested that private car ownership would be permitted but every individual journey made would need to be pre-approved by a government department to prove it necessary. No-one seems able to paint the picture of what life in 5 years time will look like. Can you help us?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

There was an interesting letter in the Times today from a Cambridge scientist, saying we have no proper plans for getting rid of fossil fuels by 2050, so any sooner is a complete fantasy. Most people have no real concept of how much energy and oil we use, and how there is no alternative if we want to maintain anything like our healthy, comfortable standard of living. We might save ourselves from climate change but a lot of us will be dying or living in discomfort from previously treatable conditions.

10. Scintillant

Dom't listen to me. Listen to people who know this stuff inside out like Prof Kevin Anderson and Michael Mann. I;m fortunate to know a handful of people in those fields but I don't have ready made solutions.

Basically, something like a 10% absolute minimum per annum cut in emissions would perhaps help us stay within a 2 degree scenario.We need to switch to low carbon lifestyles as quickly as we can. I stopped flying 12 years ago, grow a lot of my own food and live a low impact life. I know that's off-putting to many but the alternatives are simply not viable.

This is 7 years old now (yes, it was that serious then, but difficult to get people to listen) but is still relevant and goes into some detail

https://www.transitionculture.org/2...-not-be-easy-but-4c-to-6c-will-be-much-worse/

Some ideas in here:

11. install

install Star commenter

Its time for our MPs to take the climate a bit more seriously. Climate Change protests are no longer a hobby for the middle class. But like any protests there is a fine line not to cross.

Laphroig likes this.
  12. Scintillant

That's simply incorrect.

Apart from the fact that there are no real plans for moving away from fossil fuels.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I do listen to you because you are the most prominent advocate for change on here. I thought you'd have some idea what you'd do.

Let me ask a different question. What are you personally going to do differently in (a) 12 months time and (b) 5 years time?

Laphroig likes this.
  14. Scintillant

I've obviously already taken several personal measures. I presumed you were talking systemic change. Things I've done or do:
    Stop flying
    Grow as much food as possible
    Cycle much more
    Don't eat meat if you can do that.
    Consume less in general
    Switch to energy companies that use renewables
    Spread the message and become active.

I hope that electric vehicles become easily accessible to many more people and I will then be able to buy one soon. Kevin's video and article contain much further reaching argument but they require investment in time to read and listen to...

I generally recommend people read as much from the scientists as possible. If you start doing that, you will see things much more clearly and start making major changes. There is no other option if we want to maintain a bearable life in the future.

hplovegame48 and sbkrobson like this.
  15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Reducing emissions alone is not a full solution. We need to work on large scale sequestration technologies asap to bring the CO2 levels BACK DOWN to pre industrial levels.

knitone likes this.
  16. Scintillant

That is not an option at present.

We have to reduce emissions. There are no Negative Emissions Technologies at present that will have any meaningful effect on things.

17. Scintillant

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes it is... it's called planting trees.

Reducing CO2 isn't enough. The CO2 will still be in the atmosphere. Thankfully nature gave us some wonderful bark coated leaf bearing machines that make it wonderfully possible.

caress, theselofane, knitone and 2 others like this.
  19. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Some people care more about children being 'traumatised' by a temporary logo on a chalk horse than about those same children growing up to face a climate catastrophe of our making.

It's just distraction, that's all.

sbkrobson likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Forests will help.

There is enough suitable land to increase forest cover by one-third (without damaging farming or encroaching on cities etc). However, the available land diminishes as temperatures rise. Even at 1.5 degs, the area available for forests will be around one-fifth less by 2050 due to it being to warm for some tropical forests. We don't have a chance of 1.5 degs and 2.0 degs is looking like a pipe dream.