1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children, crime & conspicuous displays of wealth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

There is no excuse for what this turd did to this girl in Derby yesterday afternoon but please advise your children, grandchildren & pupils to take care in public. One for tutorials, perhaps.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I agree, we should tell them. I'm forever telling my grandkids to be careful. But they seem to think things like that only happen to others, and are never going to happen to them. Scary.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

She put up a fight! But probably not a wise thing to do.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. elder_cat

You have no way of knowing whether your attacker is high on something. Far better to lose your phone, than lose your life :eek:

Vince_Ulam and sabrinakat like this.
  5. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

I didn't spot any conspicuous display of wealth on the girl's part.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The turd who mugged her did.

7. elder_cat

I think she was just in the right place at the wrong time. It's commonplace to see youngsters walking down the street texting and chatting to their friends, on their shiny new smartphones, oblivious to what's going on around them. The mugger may have followed her for some time, before picking his time to attack.