1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children come in with very high levels, what to do?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by sfm_81, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hi, I have a Year 5 class. When they came to me in September I found that their levels were just so, so high. I've actually re-evaluated targets for the end of the year and I actually find that most will finish Year 5 on the same level they came in at (even though they will have made good progress this year, I'm just marking it more accurately)

What to do because my head of year won't be accepting this will she?

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

This can be so difficult. Just shows why it's such a good thing that legally you only have to do levels (well, report in levels, that is) only once in every key stage - at the very end. So, in statutory terms, you should only have the levels awarded at the end of Key Stage 1 to go on. Really, you should be able to ignore anything post end of Y2. They're not really levels at all, you might say.
    In any event, will your Head not accept that it normally takes well over a year to "go up a level"? So, logically, in proper national curriculum assessment terms, if , for some reason, you happen to have unofficial end of year 4 levels (they weren't reported to parents, presumably), there's absolutely no reason why, should you be asked - for some private reason - for end of Y5 levels, they shouldn't be the same as last time.
    What you can't do, of course is to say that the previous "levels" were too high - unless, for some reason, they were estimated by some unqualified person. Have you got the evidence on which the Y4 "levels" were based? You could show the Head and say (unofficially) what you think of it. Then the Head could put you right, maybe. And at the end of Y 5, you could show the evidence you have then, illustrate the progress made and discuss how that might be unoficially "levelled".
    No reason, really, why your Head shouldn't accept both the judgment of the Y4 person and your own on what you have at end of Y5.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Doesn't this say more about your school failing to have robust moderation mechanisms in situ ?

4. Of course you bloody well can! Tests admit to a margin of error if you read the small print, so what right have teachers got to claim 100% reliability?

5. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Next time, why don't you do an initial assessment of maths, literacy and science when the children first enter your class. Then if there are large discrepancies between your levels and the previous teacher's levels, you can point this out to the Head. At least then you will have evidence that the children had been over- assessed. I do this as a Year 3 teacher on children entering my Junior school.

6. I have the same problem with Y1 and Y2 children - and in the main it's caused by 6 weeks off, but also by the problem highlighted in my post about L1 APP.
    I did assessments as soon as they came in ( well 2 weeks in actually). The results were in some cases radically different. Children who came to me as 2c/2b got no help - and some of those were lucky to get 1a. Children who came as 1c or below were treatred as SEN and treated accordingly. Children who came as 1a/b got limited support - Most scored lower
    What does 'with support' mean to you? .
    Who thinks targets and starting points should always be set from assessments at the start of the new year.

7. This situation is easier to deal with now than it used to be because you can just produce proof in the form of APP grids. There's no need to point the finger at anyone, just go to your head and state your concerns. When s/he asks you why you think the targets should be lowered, then produce the APP grids showing a sample of how you've assessed them. It's then up to the head how s/he deals with the situation if the previous teacher has been assessing wrongly.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

But TA is Teacher Assessment - not Test Assessment. The teacher is not forming a judgment based on a couple of hours' work in test conditions. The teacher is using evidence gathered over a year or two or three.
    No, you can't say that the evidence the previous teacher had doesn't count. And you can't say to the children/parents that you disagree with that teacher's judgment on the evidence provided and you know how to assess in NC levels whereas they don't.