1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children bringing in their own soap!?! Should I despair?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wotworklifebalance, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I arrived at school this morning to be told that 2 children have been allowed to bring in their own soap because they have "such sensitive skin"
    Own soap means spending hours faffing about collecting own soap from the office, washing hands, rinsing and drying own soap dispenser, returning own soap to the office before wandering back to class. I wouldn't mind if the own soap was particualrly mild or prescribed, or if I had ever seen any evidence of excema/sore skin on these children.
    This is in addition to the child who keeps non-prescription chloroseptic in the office against the possibility of a sore throat and the special paper towels for the child who doesn't like using a hand dryer - special paper towels which are kept in the classroom so he traipses around the school with dripping hands.
    Am I being a grumpy, intolerant old hag or has the world gone mad?

2. I arrived at school this morning to be told that 2 children have been allowed to bring in their own soap because they have "such sensitive skin"
    Own soap means spending hours faffing about collecting own soap from the office, washing hands, rinsing and drying own soap dispenser, returning own soap to the office before wandering back to class. I wouldn't mind if the own soap was particualrly mild or prescribed, or if I had ever seen any evidence of excema/sore skin on these children.
    This is in addition to the child who keeps non-prescription chloroseptic in the office against the possibility of a sore throat and the special paper towels for the child who doesn't like using a hand dryer - special paper towels which are kept in the classroom so he traipses around the school with dripping hands.
    Am I being a grumpy, intolerant old hag or has the world gone mad?

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

1. Possibly.
    2. Definitely.
    3. Don't worry about it - life's too short!

4. Ridiculous!! How are they even being allowed?! Such mollycoddled and cossetted little cherubs. I'd be annoyed too!

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Why does using own soap mean all of that? Can't it just sit by the sink?
    It does sound silly if there is clearly nothing wrong with their skin.
    My children do have ezcema which recurrs with frequent washing with soap / detergent. So I have always just asked nursery and school if they mind if child just washes with water, except for after BM or if they have definitely touched the toilet.
    When they turned up at school no-one would have seen the problem as I had discovered the cause and eradicated it before they started school.
    This has solved the problem which has only recurred during excessive wet sandpit play.
    I guess if school had said no to this, I would have been forced to send in some kind of appropriate washing stuff (diprobase or such-like) but this would have been a pain for all concerned.
    Children have suffered no ill-effects, as no tummy bugs for many years.

6. LOL! Don't think that'd carry the same kudos as special soap ;-)
    If there is a genuine medical reason- OK if you insist. But the other things mentioned in the OP- own paper towels?! Really?!

7. Thanks for this thread! I really needed the belly laughs, did me the world of good! [​IMG]

8. Just let the teachers TEACH!!! So many hours of our working hours are spent on such bizarre antics, it makes me wonder what parents think we are actually there for.

9. Mystery, I remember the stuff. The wee used to just run off it onto your hands. No absorbency at all.
    We used it as tracing paper in the classrooms to trace round maps when we had run out of proper tracing paper. Worked a treat for that particular job.
    For the soap issue, I have one in my class who comes up in a rash from the liquid soap, so I just added a couple of bars too so everyone is happy. The thought of visiting the office to retrieve a bar of soap for every loo trip really made me laugh though!

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Aah yes the dripping wee on the tracing paper, and what about the horrible scratchy corners it made when you folded it before wiping? It felt far worse than toast crumbs in your knickers.
    Bars of soap brings up an interesting school science experiment I remember at secondary level. We cultured the bacteria from our hands before and after using a bar of soap. Guess what? There were far more bacteria on our hands after washing with a bar of soap than beforehand.

11. These things happen all the time at my school. I have a child whose parent made a big deal about the child not being able to drink milk because he is highly allergic. Well the child said i can only drink milk with my cereal. Which tells me he doesn't like to drink milk and he rules the roost at his house. She sent a doc's excuse where the child had been to the doc and she wrote a note on the bottom of the excuse that said he was allergic to milk.

12. I have never felt compelled to reply to any of these comments until today. I am both a primary teacher and mummy, so hopefully provide a balanced view. My son has severe allergies, (he has to carry an Epipen, medicine, inhaler and cream wherever he goes), and he does indeed have to have prescribed soap for school(and home). There is something in school that he is extremely allergic to and we have no idea what it is so we have to do everything we can to prevent his skin becoming worse. His soap is kept in the classroom, next to the toilets. At the moment, his skin is red raw and he has to have cream applied at least three times a day, often more. If school didn't help us out with this he would be on antibiotics regularly, which is something we try to avoid. I realise his conditions can be a pain ( I know because I deal with it on a daily basis), but I feel that a child with extremely uncomfortable skin cannot concentrate until some sort of relief is felt. I would ideally like him not to have such dreadful skin and terrible allergies, but we don't live in an ideal world unfortunately. However having said all that, if the children you are talking about are just being pandered to they need to toughen up!!

13. Fantastic response - made me chuckle after a very long week ?