1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Children attending parents' evening?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mumjane, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Does anyone have parents evenings when the children attend with their parents? I don't just mean open evenings. I am not sure about this idea as I think they are a bit young , my own children started attending parents evenings at Middle school ( age 9)

2. Does anyone have parents evenings when the children attend with their parents? I don't just mean open evenings. I am not sure about this idea as I think they are a bit young , my own children started attending parents evenings at Middle school ( age 9)

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We don't encourage it but sometimes parents can't get a sitter and bring them along. I usually get them to show older brothers or sisters the reading area or whatever so they're not listening in.

4. Thanks yes.This has happened before but now we are considering planned attendance of the children with their parents and discussing progress with the children and parents together.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I don't get this thing of children coming with their parents. The school has them all day, every day. Can't it tell them what they need to know during the school day? I want a teacher to be able to speak frankly to me. But I've noticed some odd looks (secondary school and sixth form) when I turn up without my boys. They're at home working hard. They don't want to waste hours at school being told what they already know (or should know). Maybe if a child is vile then telling it then in the parents' presence might help.

6. I don't really get why people get so wound up (either way) about bringing children to parents evening. I do not mind if children come to parents evenings or not. I still have a conversation with the adult. With my own children I sometimes go on my own and sometimes take the kids- usually depending on what kids activities they are doing and what shift husband is on. I have never had a funny look either way.

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Our parents generally bring the children along. Not a problem one way or the other. If the child is present, I do like to involve them and ask them to explain what they had done, or ask if they remembered doing or making something.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Surely in EYs the idea of 'parents' evenings' is a bit off anyway?

Our nursery class doesn't have a Parents' Evening because we meet the parents every day and don't need one. Occasionally, parents who don't collect their own children from nursery will hae to make a special appointment,

9. Ours is next week!
    I don;t like it when they bring their child with them as it is usually the ones who you want to discuss things like behaviour or progress with and I find it makes it more difficult with them there.
    You don't want to talk over the child and leave them out but at the same time I often find myself playing down the issue as I feel bad speaking about it in front of the child (particularly if it is about things they are finding difficult - I dont want to make them self conscious about it!)
    Obviously we dont wait until p.evening to discuss really significant issues anyway, just minor things really.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

As a parent I don't want to take my children to parents' evening, and as a teacher I didn't want parents to bring their children ........ but if they really had to, so be it. I do think that there must be something which, for most children, should be discussed adult to adult, and then leave the parent to decide what to say to the child and how. After all, the teacher can say whatever they want to the child during the day, and with parent and child at end of day. This is your chance to speak to parent without the child present, and vice versa.
    Into my third year of attending parents' evening for my own children now, and quite frankly, they have all been a complete waste of time for both parents and teachers. I made special arrangements each time so as not to have take a child with me, and I may as well not have bothered.
    The second one was the best - we were asked to note down what we though of our child's progress in the first two terms of reception, and write down anything we wanted to know. We learned nothing from the teacher about our child's progress, and the teacher was unable or unwilling to answer any of the questions we had put down - including the one asking what reading scheme or schemes were used in the school.

11. I personally don't like it because half of the necessary adult side of the conversation gets lost because the kid's usually either tired and fractious and acting up needing supervision, or running around the classroom like a looney trying to show their parents 20 things at once! On occasions I've had to broach things at the first PE of the year - and kids have sat there completely denying it over the top of the conversation as well.