1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children as the 'Adult'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Apr 6, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh dear! My daughter (lovely as she is) has been the adult in our relationship for quite some time and I keep doing things that reassure her that I am a bit loopy!
    Today I rang them to wish them Happy Wedding Anniversary and was secretly really pleased with myself for remembering the right day ie 2 days before s-i-l's birthday! Alas I have got it wrong it is not until next Tuesday ie 2 days AFTER s-i-l's birthday.
    I keep doing little things like this which just feeds their opinion of me being scatty and therefore not always trustworthy - you should have seen the 'inservice training' I got for the pram and car seats, which I had to deliver, when she was lending them to my niece!!!!
    Arrrgghhh - anyone else struggling with this or am I really getting batty?

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh dear! My daughter (lovely as she is) has been the adult in our relationship for quite some time and I keep doing things that reassure her that I am a bit loopy!
    Today I rang them to wish them Happy Wedding Anniversary and was secretly really pleased with myself for remembering the right day ie 2 days before s-i-l's birthday! Alas I have got it wrong it is not until next Tuesday ie 2 days AFTER s-i-l's birthday.
    I keep doing little things like this which just feeds their opinion of me being scatty and therefore not always trustworthy - you should have seen the 'inservice training' I got for the pram and car seats, which I had to deliver, when she was lending them to my niece!!!!
    Arrrgghhh - anyone else struggling with this or am I really getting batty?

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Not yet - but I can see it coming!
    Mine are 20 and 18 and view me as amusingly eccentric at the moment. They are still in a position to appreciate the freedom and advice I offer (as compared to the parents of some of their friends who wrap them up in cotton wool and have a suffocating control of their lives). So far so good - but I anticipate similar treatment such as you are getting somewhere down the track.

4. I would play on it...wear purple...call everyone Sandra (substitute name of choice)....see how far I could push the envelope before being threatened with "You're goin' in a nome". :¬))

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

At least you phoned the right person - and for the right reason - you just got the date muddled.

I still recall birthdad phoning when when I was in my teens (my parents had split up). I answered the phone and he asked to speak to my younger sister. I explained she was out, and he said he'd phone back - he just wanted to wish her a 'happy birthday'...I explained somewhat tersely that her birthday had been 6 months ago...mine on the other hand had been just two days ago! He calmly told me that 'Ah well, I knew it was one of your birthdays around this time!'..This wasn't scattiness - it was just simple not caring.
    My brother used to send a card seemingly at random for birthdays. Some family member would get a card - it was just unlikely to be the person who had a birthday.This was scattiness - and we actually found it highly amusing - and fun - you could run a book on who would get the card this time! (Such a shame he married someone who takes a joy and pride in running his life and sends cards to the right people for him!)

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

The purple thing? Well I went for coffee with daughter in a garden centre restaurant recently - I was aghast at the number of purple coats & cardigans on older ladies sitting around having coffee (including mine!). Mentioned it to daughter and she just laughed, reassuring me it was this season's colour but the knowing smile told me more [​IMG]

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My sister bough Mum a purple scarf years ago...the reference was totally lost on Mum too!....she was slightly irritated that we kept giggling when she wore it the first time!

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Reference to what? I have loads of purple stuff and quite often get purple gifts - have I been missing something all these years? Seriously?

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
    And I shall spend my pension
    on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals,
    and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
    And run my stick along the public railings,
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
    And learn to spit.
    You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
    Or only bread and pickle for a week,
    And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
    and things in boxes.
    But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
    And set a good example for the children.
    We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
    So people who know me
    are not too shocked and surprised,
    When suddenly I am old
    and start to wear purple!

When I am Old by Jenny Joseph
    Purple is my favourite colour. I am young enough for it not to be an issue at the moment but it is annoying that it will be seen to be a statement when I am older.
    I am particularly fond of purple with red - my wedding colours.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Me too - the other day my husband advised me not to wear red boots with a purple dress, he said it looked mad - bl00dy cheek!