1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children and email

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShadowMan, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

How do you teach email in KS2?
    We have been advised not to give children their own email address and I am struggling to see how a class email address can really teach them anything at all.
    There are lots of safe web based email sites that can be monitored by the school or even turned off altogether when lesson time is over - I fail to see what the fuss is all about. But our Head will not budge on the issue.
    Surely you can only learn about email if you have your own account and can send and receive your own messages.

2. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

If you have a VLE, you can teach it through there by using the 'messaging' function.

3. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

That's a clever idea. Thanks.

4. What free websites are there? I really struggled to find anything so would be curious to know!
    For KS1 we use 2Email which is an internal Email system and is simplified - its brill as they can only email people in their class, and through the teacher account you can monitor every email.
    The annoying thing is that it could be extended for KS2 but they only let you have year groups F2, Y1 and Y2!

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

By whom? And on what basis?
    I would recommend exactly the opposite. The sooner you set up email addresses in school that are monitored through the safety networks of LA systems and the like, the better.

6. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

7. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Local authority.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

All our children have their own e-mail addresses, from Reception upwards. We generally e-mail within the school but also so keep in touch with children who have left us, we are currently corresponding with children in New Zealand, America and Poland

9. All our children have their own email address on the school server. I believe that student accounts can only be emailed internally and only staff can receive external emails.

10. We have a county-wide VLE which schools were supposed to roll out to pupils about 5 years ago. The headteacher at my current school will not allow pupils to access it using the unique usernames generated by the LEA, and will certainly not allow correspondence with pupils/parents by email or any other form of electronic messaging.
    My headteacher believes that all forms of electronic messaging/email lack security, and we are told in no uncertain terms not to use them in any way, shape or form.
    Last year, a parent (who is also a teacher in the LEA and who could therefore easily find my LEA-based email address on the system) emailed me outside school hours about their child and how they could help with that week's homework. I replied, and when the headteacher found out, I received a verbal warning for using email to discuss a pupil.
    We therefore do not teach our children about messaging or emailing, other than watching a short video clip about cyber bullying.
    The world has gone completely mad!

11. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I used email with my yr2's. They have accounts with the la but was informed by ICT co ordintor that shes's never used them before and nothing else was set up! I loaded the web page ready for them, and they already had their log in details as same for VLE and they only emailed me. I can pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't know how to get back on it on their own, and majority don't know their log in details without their card in front of them, so they can't do any harm. I think it's ridiculous not letting them use it in this day an age, they prob all use it at home anyway!