1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Children, advice sought!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by biodust, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Theres nothing like the urge to have children and I think most people on here can empethise with that. I think you are wise to be thinking about trying in a years time rather than right now as the tiredness and hormones of pregnancy and very yound babies put strain on even the strongest couples.
    In terms of money, you will get child benefit of just over £20 a week and may be eligable for tax credits as your partner is low earning. My biggest costs by far are nursery - if you don't have to pay for that you will be doing well! Many baby things can be bought secondhand from ebay and I found that when I was expecting my first that I was given lots of very good quality stuff from collegues/friends.
    What I would advise in terms of money is to save some before baby is due - maternity pay isn't great after the first 6 weeks and if you only have a small amount left over now on full pay you need a plan for the lower wage time of matenity leave.