1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childminding fees

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by delmamerchant, Dec 28, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

My daughter in law and son have a child minder who is term time only. Despite this they have to pay half fees during school holiday and bank holidays. This seems a bit extortionate to me as the childminder is not available during sch hols or half term or bank holidays. It is more than paying a mortgage.

Does anyone have any info on this.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Put brutally, they have a choice of this childminder's fees and Ts&Cs, or they choose another..... They could research what else is available locally and then either negotiate with the childminder or change.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

My daughter had a similar situation with the lady that looked after her children.

The childminders appear to view it as some form of 'retainer'.:confused:

You end up stuck between a rock and hard place.:(

delmamerchant likes this.
  4. delmamerchant

it seems a bit unscrupulous to me. Good to read that they are not alone.

5. delmamerchant

if on;y it was that simple.

6. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Since mine are all now grown up I am a bit out of touch with childminders’ fees and regulations. With my first, my sil was a registered childminder. I paid the going rate term time only. She had her own school aged children so I think she was happy to have mine just term time. The second went to a school nursery and sil was due to have my second. At the last minute she said she was going to charge me half rates during holidays. I was quite surprised and upset. On discussing this with a neighbour/good friend, she offered to have my son. As a trained primary school teacher at home with her young son, living a few doors down it was a brilliant solution. Term time only. I chickened out and got my husband to tell sil our decision. There was a bit of upset at the time but it blew over and was soon forgotten. Friend did register as a child minder to comply with regulations.

Nowadays things are so much more official. It seems wrong that your dil has to pay a retainer when her childminder is not available anyway to have your grandchild. I would imagine that there are some families who would be looking for a childminder for some of the school holidays if they themselves do not get school holidays. I wonder if this childminder does that.

I’m not sure how scarce childminders are in your dil’s area but maybe an ad on Gumtree might throw up some alternatives. There could be one happy to only have your grandchild term times only if they themselves have school aged children.

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

That is what I paid 30 years ago. A half pay holiday retainer. I was happy to pay it as I was very pleased with the qualiy of care. I get paid monthly so why not the minder? She did not take term time holidays so was always available in term.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A friend of mine was a f/t teacher had a childminder who also charge a retainer of 50% through the school holidays. My friend often paid the full fee to have the children looked after in the daytime in some of the holiday weeks (to be able to do exam marking, for instance).
    If you don't pay a retainer, childminders can often not afford to keep the place open for your child. They are usually in demand and need to make a living too. You can't expect them to manage without an income for 13 weeks of the year.
    Nurseries, after all, will charge full fees throughout the holidays even if you decide to keep your children at home in those weeks.

Mazod likes this.
  9. Nannyplum

Nannyplum New commenter

Many nurseries make you pay the whole lot in holidays so I guess childminders work in roughly the same way?

10. Hello I can see this is an old post, but I am a childminder I’m changing my setting to term time only care for teachers I won’t be charging holiday retainers, my question is how do I advertise this to teachers is there a specific site teachers use to find childcare any info would be really helpful.
    Thank you

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Your best bet might be to send a flyer to all the local schools for their staffroom noticeboard. Unless you start work very early, you may be more likely to get teachers who work near you than who live near you.

12. thank you I’ll contact them and see if they will allow