1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CHILDMINDERS

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by poppymolly, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Just wondering if you pay your child minder during school holidays?
    Just out of interest, how much does your child minder charge per hour???

2. I don't pay my childminder in the holidays as she says she can fill LO's space with children who would usually be at school. She charges a very reasonable £3 an hour.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I pay £3.50 an hour and she charges half pay in most of the holidays and £10 per week in the Summer holidays.

4. I am being ripped off, lol! Mine charges £4 an hour and a half price retainer in the hols- so £2 an hour for the normal contracted hours. This is all calculated pro rata so i pay her the same amount each month. Not sure if it depends where you live- I'm south east.

5. I pay £5.20 an hour food is extra but I send my own packed lunch, nappies and milk. I pay half for 5 weeks of the holidays and nothing for Christmas, Easter and august. She is excellent mind you and littleman is happy. She also allows me to bank any early collection hours to use the following week ie if we drop of early or collect later. I'm in the south east. My best friend lives in Basingstoke and pays only £3.50 including food. Hope that helps

6. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Same here!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I live in the South East too Clematis. Some of them do charge £4 an hour, but the ones more local to me (little seaside town) charge £3.50. Mine is really flexible and if my husband has a rest day for example and looks after our son she will charge half price. She's even offered to pick him up and drop him off back home to help me out as i'm pregnant.
    I looked at nurseries but they're so much more expensive, and really inflexible.

8. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

We're very lucky in that our childminder charges £24 a day (8am-6pm) - our daughter's usually there from about 7:45-4:30, depending. She doesn't charge us anything through the holidays. Saying that, if it would have meant paying more to be happy with everything then we would do (when I was pregnant we and were looking round some nurseries/ childminders, cost was one of the first things that we were thinking of. Since having her it moved down the list!).

9. I met with 1 childminder (East Anglia) and it would have been £3.90 an hour term time and a half pay retainer in the holidays. However, I have found a nursery that charges £3.50 an hour and nothing in the holidays so I am going with them! I would have paid more if but the nursery is lovely so I'm happy. It works out around £200/ month difference across the whole year. Top of my list was people who would care about her and give her lots of cuddles!

10. Oh I'm more than happy with my childminder- LO loves her! I agree that her happiness is obviously worth as much as we can afford. She also gives a cold lunch and snacks, with us providing the milk and nappies/wipes etc.

11. We are paying £5.25 an hour but that includes food, nappies, wipes and any baby/toddler groups she takes LO too. We also don't have to pay any retainer over school holidays as our child-minder has her own children so only wants to work term time! It's great as it means that our payments are a lot less for months like April and August when there are longer school hols! I know she's more per hour than some but given all I have to provide is milk I think it's worth every penny (and LO is very happy with her - can't put a price on that!!)