1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childminders who only work term time??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by pachamama, Mar 14, 2012.

1. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

I am in the process of trying to find a childminder for my baby. I would, if possible like term time only. Am I being unreasonable to ask for this? (I also have a 3 year old)
    I am meeting with a childminder on Monday and she said she would negotiate. Does anyone have experience of childminders just doing term time?
    This lady also has other children. Including her own 4 year old who will be starting school in September. What is the ratio of children to adult?
    At the moment my little girl is at nursery 2 days a week, which 12 & 1/2 hours are funded. (she will start at the local school nursery in sept) Having him in nursery 4 days would be so expensive I may as well give up work.
    I appreciate that this is a big ask, but do some minders take on other children during holidays? I don't want to lose someone an income, but at the moment it kills me paying £42 a day when it's bank holiday or my daughter doesn't need to be in. I wish I could stay home and someone pay me insttead. I need a rich husband!!

2. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

I am in the process of trying to find a childminder for my baby. I would, if possible like term time only. Am I being unreasonable to ask for this? (I also have a 3 year old)
    I am meeting with a childminder on Monday and she said she would negotiate. Does anyone have experience of childminders just doing term time?
    This lady also has other children. Including her own 4 year old who will be starting school in September. What is the ratio of children to adult?
    At the moment my little girl is at nursery 2 days a week, which 12 & 1/2 hours are funded. (she will start at the local school nursery in sept) Having him in nursery 4 days would be so expensive I may as well give up work.
    I appreciate that this is a big ask, but do some minders take on other children during holidays? I don't want to lose someone an income, but at the moment it kills me paying £42 a day when it's bank holiday or my daughter doesn't need to be in. I wish I could stay home and someone pay me insttead. I need a rich husband!!

3. I think you should keep looking, you might be lucky enough to find one that only wants term time work, but I have to say I have never come across it. In my experience you have to stump up the money (usually half pay) for days that you don't choose to use the childminder. If it wasn't like this I think childminders would think twice before accepting teachers' children, maybe preferring to take on a child whose parents have shorter hols. I even had to pay mine 1/2 pay when I was on maternity leave with the next baby for fear of losing my place, the thought of having to find someone new was too horrible to contemplate. I don't think it is really fully understood, unless you have been through it yourself, just how much it costs to keep working! Good luck x

4. have bumped a thread from a couple of weeks ago on same subject, in case there is anything on there for you x

5. I work with childminders. Some are pleased to do term time only if they have school children of their own. Others may charge a retainer if they work in August in order to keep the place open for you.
    I have found a childminder for my own child who will do term time only for us . she does work throughout the hols so has decided to charge me a slightly higher hourly rate than the other children who go to her thorughout school hols. it still works out as a saving for me.Might be worth suggesting to a childminder you like?

6. My sisters children went to a childminder who did term time only. She charged £3 an hour for her children, provided food, took them to groups etc, swimming (with permission) at no extra cost.
    http://www.ncma.org.uk/childminders/become_a_childminder/childminding_ratios/ratios_in_england.aspx
    Each childminder may care for:
    • a maximum of six children under the age of 8;
    • of these six children, a maximum of three may be young children, however where 4- and 5-year-old children only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, they may be classed as children over the age of 5 for the purposes of the adult:child ratio;
    • normally, no more than one child may be under the age of 1, however a childminder may be registered to care for two children under the age of 1 where they are able to demonstrate that they can meet and reconcile the individual needs of all the children being cared for.
    taken from this website.

7. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

Ladymarm, that just might solve my problems. What a good idea.
    I agree, that I may have to pay a retainer.
    Thanks everyone for your good advice. [​IMG]

8. Hi, i'm a childminder and i will do term time only, as mentioned above by someone, i do charge a slightly higher rate for term time only but as i don't get paid for 13 weeks i think that is quite fare, hope that helps

9. I have just found a childminder for my LO and when I was looking, all of the ones I saw did term time only. Strange how it varies! What we will be doing is dividing the 39 weeks she will be at the childminders for by 12 so that the monthly cost is lower but the childminder still gets a regular income. Works out better for us as it means our monthly outgoings are less! It could be a suggestion?