1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childminder chargers me for holidays yet is not available...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sammi73, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Sorry but this is long and boring but I could do with advice on what to do.

I leave my twin babies with a child minder 3 days a week. I pay four weeks holiday which she takes during the school holiday and then the rest of my holidays when I am not working, I pay her half pay.

I want to go into school on Wednesday and have a revision session with my Year 11 students whose exams are next week. I asked the childminder last week if I could leave them with her a half day as I assumed the place would be free as I am effectively paying half pay as a retainer. She said of course that wouldn't be a problem. I asked whether she'd charge me, she said no as it was a half day and I am paying for half a day anyway. So the agreement was that I would drop my kids off for half a day on Wednesday.

She called me today saying she had hay fever and a cold and did a lot of coughing down the phone. I'm no *** and she was very obviously faking it mainly due to the fact she knew so far in advance she'd be ill on Wednesday even though it was only hayfever! Plus the dramatic coughing fits were a give away as is the fact she would never ever take time off during term time as she would have to make alternative provision as I HAVE to go to work, whereas popping into school during the holiday isn't a necessity. I asked if I could come in on Thursday then instead of Weds, she said she'd check with the doctor and get back to me. I'm now sat here fuming about being lied to about her taking a sicky when she's very obviously having a day off/or as I think the case may be, taking the children she usually cares for after school during term time, getting paid for that whilst still expecting me to pay 62 pounds for a half day when she's not available to work. In fact not available to work on any of the days this week that I'm paying her for. Even if she were ill, which she isn't, would it be fair for her to charge me for days when she's not available to work?

Now I have to tell 25 kids not to come in and I'm pretty cross. I really like my childminder and don't want to fall out with her but I feel she's taking the ****. Any advice on what to say to her?

2. Sorry but this is long and boring but I could do with advice on what to do.

I leave my twin babies with a child minder 3 days a week. I pay four weeks holiday which she takes during the school holiday and then the rest of my holidays when I am not working, I pay her half pay.

I want to go into school on Wednesday and have a revision session with my Year 11 students whose exams are next week. I asked the childminder last week if I could leave them with her a half day as I assumed the place would be free as I am effectively paying half pay as a retainer. She said of course that wouldn't be a problem. I asked whether she'd charge me, she said no as it was a half day and I am paying for half a day anyway. So the agreement was that I would drop my kids off for half a day on Wednesday.

She called me today saying she had hay fever and a cold and did a lot of coughing down the phone. I'm no *** and she was very obviously faking it mainly due to the fact she knew so far in advance she'd be ill on Wednesday even though it was only hayfever! Plus the dramatic coughing fits were a give away as is the fact she would never ever take time off during term time as she would have to make alternative provision as I HAVE to go to work, whereas popping into school during the holiday isn't a necessity. I asked if I could come in on Thursday then instead of Weds, she said she'd check with the doctor and get back to me. I'm now sat here fuming about being lied to about her taking a sicky when she's very obviously having a day off/or as I think the case may be, taking the children she usually cares for after school during term time, getting paid for that whilst still expecting me to pay 62 pounds for a half day when she's not available to work. In fact not available to work on any of the days this week that I'm paying her for. Even if she were ill, which she isn't, would it be fair for her to charge me for days when she's not available to work?

Now I have to tell 25 kids not to come in and I'm pretty cross. I really like my childminder and don't want to fall out with her but I feel she's taking the ****. Any advice on what to say to her?

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

.... really? You would expect your childminder to do that?
    "Sorry you are poorly"?

4. Offer to pay her the remaining 50% if she's feeling better on weds or thurs? I agree it does sound like she's unavailable, however, as it's a term timd contract, is it written somewhere that she's available in hols? I pay mine a 50% retainer to keep the space but if I want my daughter to go in hols, I pay the remaining 50% for those hours. It us very clear that she doesn't have to do hols and does so if she's available. It's a precious thing to find a cm you luke, so don't fall out with her!

5. Mandala: I thought my post was clear that I didn't think she was actually ill, although you are probably gagging to have me down as a slave driving diva. I spoke to her daughter today who said that her mother is rundown and needs to recuperate hence her not wanting to take my kids. Making alter alternative provision is the norm for childminders I think, to ensure they are still paid. They receive holiday pay but not sick pay. I think their job is a real grey area between being self employed and an employee.

Clematis: You are right about the not falling out. I really like the woman, I just wish she'd been a bit more transparent about her intentions this week and had said 'sorry, I won't be available for work the first week of Easter' so I could have made alternative arrangements re my Year 11s. II also think that if she isn't available to work then she shouldn't charge. She already gets 4 days paid holiday from me plus an additional 9 weeks at half pay, although whether or not she thinks that is a good deal isn't for me to judge!

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Hmmm..... yeah, actually.

7. Obviously a difficult position,but I know that I would never want to leave my children with someone I didn't trust!

8. I agree with the others. She's only unavailable as she's sick, and already said she would have them before she got sick. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Why would she say she would have them if she was planning in advance not to work this week?

9. Well I spoke to her daughter and it turns out she's tired because of her hayfever medication and feels it would be better to not have my two to give her a chance to recuperate.

10. Yes you're right Sparklefan. I'm putting it down to miscommunication as it all gets too nasty otherwise which isn't good when your kids are involved.