1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childhhod trivia question. Please help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A few days ago, in conversation, someone mentioned an outdoor activity they used to do, with the Scouts. It consisted of going from one location to another, to find cards that gave a clue to where the next clue could be found. None of us could remember what this was called. Some suggested 'treasure hunt' but I am sure that it had another name. Does anyone know?

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

orienteering? umm.. no, that had a map.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Did it involve maps? It wasn't a form of orienteering was it?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't remember cards (I was a Brownie and a Guide), but I recall following 'clues' left (like arrangements of sticks, stones, chalk marks, etc) and this was called 'tracking'.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Wide Game - I just googled it. We used to do this in Guides too.

'Tracking' was different and, like you say, involved sticks and stones etc as clues not notes.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We did it too. We called it orienteering even though there wasn't a map.

7. Jolly_Roger1

I don't think it involved maps or map references; just semi--cryptic clues as to the location of the next card. The name 'wild game' doesn't sound familiar, although I am talking about fifty years ago.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not 'wild' - WIDE - and I did it 50 years ago too maybe your group called it something different.
    Edit:I've just looked on the Scouts website again and Wide game seems to involve collecting objects as well so maybe a different game. (I've got stuff to do and I'm procrastinating)

9. Jolly_Roger1

@inky: Sorry, I miss-read what you typed. Wide doesn't sound familiar but thank you, and everyone else, for trying.

10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

@Jolly_Roger1

Scavenger hunt? Except that involves collecting things as well.

11. Alceanne

Alceanne Occasional commenter

The Guide group I went to called it "Wild Clues-Chase", (with an East Midlands accent!) but I think that might have been the brainwave of our Guider, as nobody else I've ever met has known this.
    When I went to some county-wide camp I was utterly bewildered by something called 'Wide Game' and got my patrol completely and utterly lost...

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

When I helped to run a cub pack way back in the mists of time, we called them Wide Games.

I was Bagera!! :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.