1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

childcare vouchers on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mac78, Feb 16, 2011.

1. At the moment I am claiming childcare vouchers for my first child, and now I am expecting my second. (yeah!) What to do about childcare vouchers is getting complicated! I know that they calculate maternity pay between 17-25 weeks of pregnancy so if I'm claiming them during this period, it will reduce my maternity pay. On the other hand, from what I understand about benefits, you are entitled to receive non-cash benefits (childcare vouchers) all the way through, even when you aren't getting any maternity pay any more (39-52 weeks).
    Am I right? Has anybody else thought about this? I haven't actually done the sums, but I'm estimating that the benefit of getting £243 a month for a year will outweigh the reduction in OMP.
    The other complication is that if I come out of the scheme, I think when I rejoin I won't be able to claim as much because of the changes coming in for the new tax year.
    My head hurts trying to work it all out!

2. How would this work? It's a salary sacrifice scheme so surely if you're sacrificing salary you need to be actually getting some salary too.... I'm very interested in this as I'm expecting my second child too and my friend just said she didn't bother claiming vouchers because of how it messes up maternity pay so would really appreciate any answers from anyone too! Thanks for posting mac!