1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childcare if you work in a different school to your own child

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Smurf191, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Smurf191

Smurf191 New commenter

Hi, girls/guys here who are teaching assistants can I pick your brains. How do you manage child care if you work in a different school to your child. I'm looking into becoming a ta, have a education background previously left education when lo arrived, im ready to get back into it now but all jobs are roughly 8.30 till 3.15 ans shes only 4 so still too young to walk home. Seems a waste paying for after school club for that small amount of time plus I would never pick her up from school and I love school pick up and drop off time. How do you do it? Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My youngest went to breakfast club before school and after school care that was all that was available to me, no family in the area.If it's part time you could try sharing with a friend.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

In the past, our school have allowed TAs with children to drop off at other schools to work 9.15 or 9.30 until 3 - we still have a few who do this. But our Head won't allow anyone new to do this; I appreciate it is a headache - TAs often work with children with very specific needs who need someone with them at the start and end of the day. There are also so many people applying for every job advertised now that it is easy to discount those who can't work the required hours.

I don't mean to be negative - Wotton is right, lots of primary schools have wrap-around care now. Or you could consider working part-time if you can find the right job. There's a way round every problem. Best of luck!

4. Clairabella75

Clairabella75 New commenter

Hi, I asked my head if I could start at 9.15am and I just pay for after school club for the times I can't collect. It works for us.

5. Smurf191

Smurf191 New commenter

My 4 year old has only been at school since September so I wasn't ready to put her in breakfast and after school club everyday, I just wondered how others managed as I miss working with children. I should count myself lucky as my current job allows me to pick up every day so I guess I'll hold on to what I have until shes older (or I win the lottery!!!)
    Cheers all