1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childcare for teachers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ES2008, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ES2008

ES2008 New commenter

Afternoon all,

I have been looking for ages for term-time only childcare for my kids and I can't believe how hard it is.

Anyone else had experience of this? Any advise would be much appreciated!

Also I have found a website called www.childcareforteachers.co.uk which I thought other teacher mum's / dad's might be interested in if they are looking for term-time only childcare.

2. Marshall08

Marshall08 New commenter

Hi,

My daughter attends Busy Bees nursery and they allow teachers to reduce to just one day a week during non term time.....not sure if that's any use for you?

https://www.busybeeschildcare.co.uk/

x

3. ES2008

ES2008 New commenter

That is interesting , not heard of that before, thank you

4. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

The nursery I used for my daughter also did that for me. It was reduced to one day a week but there was a small surcharge on the usual fees for doing so. I calculated that as I only used nursery on Mondays and Tuesdays it wasn't worth it as there were many bank holidays when nursery is closed anyway. I still used to send my daughter in the hols for the two days as she enjoyed it so much and I then had two days to do my planning, cleaning or decorating etc.

Childcare is a total pain to sort out anyway, I'm having a nightmare with it again now I've got two children to sort out and one will be at school. Argh!

5. ES2008

ES2008 New commenter

I thought that most nurseries closed during the holidays, which would have been ideal. So hard to juggle everything and find the perfect solution!
    Thank you for your reply

6. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

School nurseries close during the hols of course, but day nurseries stay open to serve working parents. Our day nursery closed during bank holidays and one week at Christmas, for which we weren't charged any fees.

I'm also using salary sacrifice for childcare vouchers, it has been worth it for me. X

7. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

What didn't occur to me at the time but worth a try - book a permanent place for 1 or 2 mornings, whole year.
    Then advance book all the other days as extras.

Don't guarantee it'll work, it's just a thought!

8. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I'm lucky that my nursery allows Term time only. They are open in the holidays and occasionally I use them for a day in the summer when I combine all my urgent tasks into one day and blitz them; helps my sanity and he comes home having had a nice trip to the park etc.

9. frizzymiss

frizzymiss New commenter

Nice thought but most nurseries won't let you do it! Any extra days will only be 'subject to space' so they might let you book a month in advance but as soon as a child wants that place you've lost it.

Childminders are more likely to offer term time places as they can then take school children during the holidays

10. lucastamiller

lucastamiller New commenter