1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Childcare crisis

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by anon1021, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I can't believe this is happening to me. I had arranged my childcare - got my daughter into the nursery that her big brother went to, or so I thought. Four weeks ago, after securing a teaching post 3 days per week they said they couldn't fit her in the days that I needed.
    I spent the whole day the following day visiting other nurseries and none of them lived up to the other nursery. Later in the day my husband called me and mentioned a brand new nursery that had opened. I visited and given the fact that it's the holidays, excused the lack of organisation and lack of staff. How wrong was I. it took them 5 minutes to come and take my daughter from me this morning, given that she was already crying. The owner has admitted to me today that at one point every child in the room was crying. They had organised for 3 new starters to turn up with only 2 staff.
    I'm now due to start work next week and I just don't know what to do. I'm completely beside myself. I don't really know why I'm writing this on here, perhaps just for some moral support or words of wisdom?
    I just feel so lost. It has taken me 5 years to get back into teaching. This was just not supposed to happen.

2. I really feel for you, it's hard enough leaving them at nursery while you go to work and all the guilt and insecurity that brings, without this sort of upheaval. My advice would be to keep looking and see if you can turn up something else whilst you give the new nursery time to settle down. It may well be that it turns out ok and they were just having a bad day. If you do decide it's too awful to risk sending her there, you've got a bit of time (a week!) to consider other emergency options - could your husband take some time off? Family come to stay? Maybe you could juggle like that for a couple of weeks to give yourself time to find an option you are happy with.Have you considered a childminder? You can always find a different nursery later in the year. Whatever you turn up doesn't have to be permanent.
    I had a similar sort of emergency - I got a call one morning to say that the nursery my daughter was at had been shut by Ofsted the previous day - chucking 100 kids in the area into having no childcare overnight. I found it really distressing and at one point ended up ranting in floods of tears with the local authority early years advisor, but in the end I gave myself some time to find another nursery juggling between grandparents and emergency days off work for both of us and some sick leave (I ended up signed off for a week - I was ill, but laid it on rather thick!), and actually, I think this nursery is better. I'm telling you this just to let you know it can work out alright in the end.
    Good luck, it's never easy being a working mum!

3. Thanks mac,
    I've managed to find a childminder who I feel is more able to look after her. I've been to see her tonight and she's great. I find it quite strange that i'm still wondering whether I'm doing the right thing. It's just yet another settling in period that she's got to go through.

4. Glad you're sorted. Amazing how quickly what feels like a disaster can be all over and done with.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Could you ask family to stay? Or share wit friends? Or try OFSTED for a list of childminders?
    Although I am a teacher I am NVQ CC/EY qualified, and I know what you mean by nurseries. MAny pay peanuts, so people do walk easily.
    I feel it should be like teaching (without as much academia of course!), a long, possibly paid training period, then a probabtion year with lots of assessment, then continuos PM. This stage is crucial for our children-ok, they may not be oing GCSEs at 3, but equally your 15 year old son can tell you of any problems! Our children are so important, why is nursery nursing so low paid? OK, pay isn't veryhing, but would we get quality teachers if it was a minimum wage job.
    Some nursery staff are great. Others are not. Until we change the system, this won't improve. I do worry about these things for my own kid.

6. If you feel happy with your chosen childminder, chances are your child will too. I took my daughter out of nursery when she was 16 months old, and started her with a childminder. She ADORES going there, and her younger brother is there too now! You also know that your child will receive more one-to-one attention than in a nursery (and they are often cheaper too!)
    Hope all goes well for you - it's hard enough starting back at work without extra trauma for you! xx