1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

child with complex needs in mainstream school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by daisyhorse, Mar 13, 2011.

  1. These are the 2 websites bentioned in a previous post. I agree with the replies mentioned above but would jusl like to add that YOU need to also work with the child and not the TA alone. As another poster has said you may have to provide a totally different curriculum for the child. Do you have a local special school that you could get advice from?
    Good luck
  2. Thank you all for your help. I am working on a weekly plan for her, with activities focussed on her next steps and where possible fitting in with the rest of the class - eg story time. For now I have taken her next steps from the early learning goals. I am also going to try and arrange to spend some time with her each week when I have a HLTA who can be in charge of the rest of the class, though this will only be an hour each week I think, but at least it's a start. I really wish I knew what I was doing, I don't want to let her down.
    The websites look good, thank you.

    Thanks again
  3. KimBolger

    KimBolger New commenter

    I work as an advisory teacher and go into primary schools to give advice on including children with special needs. I would suggest looking at the developmental journals linked to the early support materials as this is a good assessment tool and will give you an idea of the level the child is working on -these can be downloaded. Children with fragile X and autism are good visual learners so visual actvivities such as puzzles/matching are usually good starting points. Intensive interaction(Dave Hewitt) is also a good technique to use as this involves copying the child -i.e sounds/movements as this helps with theie communication.
    I would suggest speaking to your SENCO and setting up an IEP. Do you not have any support servcies in your borough that specialise in working with children with SEN that you could refer to.
    Hope this is of use


Share This Page