1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child with cerebral palsy year 1

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by raclee, Sep 8, 2012.

1. This is my first time I have had a pupil with CP. He is a lovely, bright child and also has hearing loss. He wears a body suit and helmet to help with his movements.
    I would really appreciate your advice on resources out there for day to day classroom stuff. I have seen some table top scissors and switches for the computer that will be useful. What else could I get to aid his learning?
    He struggles to speak but comprehensively understands what I am saying. He can copy over words but I don't feel I am challenging him enough that way. His grip is poor so would magnetic letters be more appropriate?

Please, please help, I don't know where to start!

2. This is my first time I have had a pupil with CP. He is a lovely, bright child and also has hearing loss. He wears a body suit and helmet to help with his movements.
    I would really appreciate your advice on resources out there for day to day classroom stuff. I have seen some table top scissors and switches for the computer that will be useful. What else could I get to aid his learning?
    He struggles to speak but comprehensively understands what I am saying. He can copy over words but I don't feel I am challenging him enough that way. His grip is poor so would magnetic letters be more appropriate?

Please, please help, I don't know where to start!

3. I would recommend having a chat with the child's occupational therapist. OTs know all about the possible adaptations that are available to help and can make recommendations.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

The OT and the physio will certainly be able to support and guide you on what he can realistically achieve physically. I'd be looking towards using the computer for writing rather than handwriting. There are a lot of excellent input devices (e.g a head mouse, a joy stick, a trackerball, a switch) which can enable him to learn to write independently once he learns to use it.
    I'd also want to check out a method to support his expressive language with the speech therapist.S/he will support him to either develop his speech or provide an alternative (eg a VOCA 'speech machine' like Steven Hawkins use, or a symbol communication board) so that he can communicate more clearly with you and his classmates.
    Any of these services should be able to assess what is best and will often provide appropriate equipment, on loan, for his use in the classroom and at home. They should certainly be able to loan equipment for him to try to see if they are helpful to him.

5. dzil

And yes, I'd try magnetic letters, if he can manipulate them quickly enough. I'd also try putting out letters in an arc (maybe only three or five to start with so he can learn the activity and improve his head control as well as learning the letter sounds) and asking him to eye point to them when you say them. Do similar things to check his understanding of what you are teaching maybe using pictures for him to eye point to. I'd certainly have symbols for 'yes', 'no'.and 'I don't know / don't understand always in the same position on his tray or desk so he can quickly answer or let you know what he's thinking.

6. Thanks so much. I have spoken to ICT coordinator who will get the sticks for the computer and have got an adapted keyboard with big letters and numbers, haven't yet tried that.

Will use the magnetic letters and symbols a lot more in teaching. I have a mat to stop his work sliding off the table that has really helped.

Tried using the big iwb as well and put a lot more malleable equipment out like play dough and modelling clay. He adores painting too!

7. dzil

That sounds great. Well done for getting things sorted so quickly for him.