1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

child who laughs in your face

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by breadmaker, Jan 27, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Any advice gratefully received! I have a child in my y1 class who just laughs in your face, or in any adult's face when you tell her off for kicking, hitting, punching etc. The lauagh then gets louder and louder and totally disrupts the rest of the class. She ends up being sent out.
    I am determined to keep my cool, but am finding it increasing difficult as I feel we have now reached the point of no return and this is happening 3 times each day- usually at the beginning of each session, but recently at any time during the sessions.
    Any tatics that can empower me to stay 3 steps ahead?! Thanks

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Any advice gratefully received! I have a child in my y1 class who just laughs in your face, or in any adult's face when you tell her off for kicking, hitting, punching etc. The lauagh then gets louder and louder and totally disrupts the rest of the class. She ends up being sent out.
    I am determined to keep my cool, but am finding it increasing difficult as I feel we have now reached the point of no return and this is happening 3 times each day- usually at the beginning of each session, but recently at any time during the sessions.
    Any tatics that can empower me to stay 3 steps ahead?! Thanks

3. Would a chat with the parents do any good?

4. My son does this when I tell him off (he's 3 in June) and I have no idea why. I think it is because it's his nervous reaction rather than naughtiness. He closes his eyes and laughs so I think it's to stop me talking. It drives me batty! Maybe it's a reaction of nerves rather than being cheeky?

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

I can't guarantee three steps exactly, but I'll make this observation: he's so young,but he's already spotted something even a child can see- if he just laughs, it's incredibly annoying, and in many ways totally undercuts what we want to say. If an adult did it, it would just as devastating.
    So you need to completely break the link between his behaviour and any kind of grand reaction on your or anyone else's part. If he gets told off and then starts cackling, keep absolutely calm, even if you feel like chinning him. Just calmly and quietly have him removed from the room. He will do it exactly as long as he thinks it will get a reaction, or as long as it visibly torments you. Therefore keep the torment inside, and stay so very, very serious, slightly sad even. Of course, make sure he gets punished for it, but make sure that whenever he tries to press your buttons, he finds he can't reach them.
    Good luck.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/