1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child Study

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by stephyt, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Hi. Before I moved to my current uni I was doing my teacher training on an Early Years Primary degree. As part of this I spent a full day in a nursery observing a child. I literally wrote down everything the child did, so for example he played with the cars moving them around with his right hand and saying 'brum brum.' Once I'd made my notes, which filled about 2 and a half A5 pages, I then had to split them into sections to talk about his development against each area of the EYFS, for example moving the cars around came under physical development, and saying 'brum brum' came under communication, language and literacy.
    I needed to include theorists work to explain his development so looked at people such as Piaget and Vygotsky and how their theories were either proven or disproven in what I saw.
    How you are thinking of writing this sounds similar to what I had to do. We were given sheets with headings on from the EYFS to make taking notes clearer as they could be written under the heading to best suit what the child was doing, although I did find many overlapped. I put these notes in as n appendix.